SATELLITE phones and seminars on making vulnerable households safe: that sums up Cebu officials’ actions this week in response to Yolanda, which struck four months ago.
While the weather is sunny, former San Francisco mayor Alfredo Arquillano yesterday urged local government units (LGUs) to prepare for typhoons this year by, among others, identifying evacuation centers and making sure these can withstand super typhoons.
A PORTION of Sergio Osmeña Blvd. will be closed to vehicular traffic starting March 11 once the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7 begins road concreting work there.
The work will affect the portion after the intersection of Gen. Maxilom Ave.-Sergio Osmeña Blvd. up to Juan Luna Ave. Extension-Sergio Osmeña Blvd. intersection.
FOR student Harley Damien Yburan, 21, a proposed increase in the minimum fare from P7.50 to P10 is too much.
“Sakit na kaayo na sa bulsa para sa mga estudyante ug mga trabahador nga gamay ra ang sweldo (That will hurt students and workers who earn little),” Yburan told Sun.Star Cebu yesterday.
MOST of the cases of violence against women recorded at the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) Women and Children Protection Desk (WCPD) the past two years are physical in nature.
Of the 863 cases recorded last year, 755 are physical injuries, followed by threats with 45 cases and rape with 88.
THE Department of Energy (DOE) yesterday said the drilling for energy sources in Alegria, Cebu and the test flow for natural gas in Aloguinsan will not affect the marine ecosystems and marine life because these are on-shore explorations.
Engr. Eduardo Amante, chief of the DOE Energy Development and Utilization Division, said it is just like the natural gas operation in Barangay La Libertad, Bogo City where the natural gas is taken from the land near the shore.
A CONGRESSIONAL inquiry is sought by a Cebu City councilor on the court ordered demolition of structures of 157 families in Sitio San Miguel, Barangay Apas.
Councilor Alvin Dizon, chairperson of the City Council’s committee on housing, said he will ask Rep. Alfredo Benitez (Negros Occidental, third district) to initiate the move as he is the chairperson of the committee on housing and urban development.
REGIONAL Trial Court (RTC) Branch 9 Judge Alexander Acosta has yet to decide on the motion filed by the families who are facing demolition in Sitio San Miguel, Barangay Apas, Cebu City.
In a hearing on the partial motion for reconsideration yesterday, Acosta ordered lawyers Mark Anthony Gaviola and Benjamin Militar to submit their arguments on Monday.
THIRTY-three-year-old Melchor Abellaneda is among the 157 affected families in demolition in Sitio San Miguel, Barangay Apas, Cebu City.
He said it is painful to see the house he built and lived for 11 years torn down in minutes.
EIGHT people, including a 15-year-old boy, were arrested by police in separate anti-drug operations in the province last Thursday.
In Tuburan town, police caught five people allegedly engaged in selling drugs inside a beach resort in Barangay Daanlungsod.
THE Cebu City Government owns 1,271 vehicles that guzzle over 2.2 million liters of fuel in a year.
But only a few will be left if the City Council approves the proposal to dispose of vehicles that are seven years old, according to the General Services Office (GSO).
TALISAY City is one of eight local government units in the country cited by the Bureau of Local Government Finance (BLGF) for its tax collection efficiency.
Talisay City Treasurer Emma Macuto told Sun.Star Cebu that she was informed of the award after attending a BLGF conference in Davao City last month.
THE Talisay City Government will not release the six persons arrested earlier this week for illegally transporting 300 flitches of lumber in Barangay Dumlog pending the filing of charges against them.
The six men, all from Socorro town in Surigao del Norte, were arrested Tuesday night after they failed to present documents that would allow them to transport the lumber, which had an estimated value of P370,000.
A POLICEMAN will face investigation after a female detainee of the Consolacion Police Station escaped, using the need to attend to her child as an alibi.
PO1 Julios Patac will undergo a pre-charge evaluation after drug suspect Dionisia Lumantao slipped past him last Monday after she requested to breastfeed her child.
THE Cebu City Government’s “Piso Mo, Hospital Ko” fund-raising campaign has raised P13 million, almost four months after it was launched.
City Councilor Mary Ann de los Santos, the CCMC ad hoc committee chairperson, announced this yesterday.
THE Office of the Ombudsman-Visayas has junked the homicide through reckless imprudence charge against two local health officials and a government doctor, who were blamed for the death of a six-month-old infant in 2011.
Graft Investigator Vivien Leigh Lumangtad said there was not enough evidence to convict Dr. Susana Madarieta, former Department of Health (DOH) 7 director; Dr. Wilfredo Dublin Jr., DOH 7 medical specialist; and Dr. Ralph John Noval, pediatric resident of the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC).
A CONSULTANT of a local legislator was tasked to present a local government’s environmental initiatives in a forum.
Forum participants were thankful that through his talk, they learned that the LGU has institutionalized an environmental policy that encourages, among others, property developers to come up with building designs that make efficient use of energy and other resources. Under the policy, developers get incentives if their buildings get high “green” ratings.
CEBU -- After learning that a minor was hired for the wrecking crew, the Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) in Central Visayas region on Thursday ordered the demolition of 157 houses in Barangay Apas, Cebu City, stopped.
Dole Regional Senior Labor and Employment Officer Russel Cañete issued the work stoppage order to Sheriff Edilberto Suarin at 2 p.m. Thursday.
THERE is no joy in demolitions, even for the 200-man team tasked to carry out the court-ordered demolition of 157 houses in Sitio San Miguel, Barangay Apas, Cebu City.
They are considered villains in every demolition but they said it pains them to see families lose their homes.
THE Municipal Trial Court in Cities (MTCC) Branch 6 ruled that Aletha Suico-Magat “tolerated” the families occupying the lots in Barangay Apas, Cebu City where a demolition is being conducted.
This act of tolerance on the part of Magat was the basis for MTCC Branch 6 Judge Pamela Baring-Uy to rule that a “person who occupies the land of another at the latter's tolerance or permission, without any contract between them, is necessarily bound by an implied promise that he will vacate upon demand.”
A FORMER barangay councilor of Paknaan, Mandaue City who is allegedly engaged in selling drugs was arrested by police during a buy-bust on Wednesday.
Seized from Jonathan Dechos, 35, were a large pack, two medium packs and a small pack of alleged shabu with a street value of P30,000.
POLLUTION, denudation of watersheds and over-extraction of groundwater sources are just some of the issues affecting Metro Cebu’s water resources.
With the growing demand for water, officials of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) 7 and the Metropolitan Cebu Water District (MCWD) stressed the need for better resource management during yesterday’s Water Challenge Forum.
ARMAN Hermoso learned to write his name at the age of 37.
Hermoso, an inmate at the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC), demonstrated his newly acquired skill with a pen and a short bond paper.
THE Technical Working Group (TWG) created by the Regional Development Council (RDC) to tackle post-Yolanda recovery efforts has recommended that houses and buildings in the country must be designed to withstand typhoons with wind speeds of up to 350 kilometers per hour (kph) and 7.2-magnitude earthquakes.
This is one of the proposals of the TWG, which recommended a review of the National Building Code.
THE Cebu Provincial Government has to spend nearly P20 million to repair and retrofit buildings that were damaged by a 7.2 magnitude earthquake in October last year.
The P18.882-million project includes the main Capitol building, Cebu Cultural Center, the legislative building, Museo Sugbo and south bus terminal.
CEBU Archbishop Jose Palma was saddened over the series of fatal shootings that occurred in Cebu for the past few months including the recent murder of a high-profile lawyer.
In an interview with reporters yesterday, Palma said the murders occurring in some parts of Cebu should serve as a point of self-reflection on the value of life.
LOCAL government units (LGUs) still topped the list of state agencies with the most number of cases filed with the Office of the Ombudsman last year.
Although it stays on top of the list for three consecutive years, the number of cases filed against erring LGU personnel nationwide before the anti-graft office dropped by 655, from 2,669 cases in 2012 to 2,014 cases last year.
ONLY one provision in a 2006 ordinance that establishes the Cebu City rainwater conservation program has been fully implemented, said City Councilor Nestor Archival.
Archival said the City Government has been able to implement only one provision in Ordinance 2103, which is to require proponents of residential, commercial and industrial building projects to construct rainwater tanks or cisterns in their properties.
THE Cebu City Government paid its 19th loan amortization for the development of the South Road Properties (SRP).
City Treasurer Office in-charge-of-office Diwa Cuevas said P218 million was paid by the City last Feb. 20.
DID YOU NOTICE...
... BLUE RIBBON COMMITTEE CHIEF, Sen. Teofisto Guingona III, didn’t use “three-pointer, and buzzer-beater” when he summed up the testimony of new whistleblower Dennis Cunanan?
AFTER nearly 19 years of hiding, a 50-year-old man was arrested by police in Minglanilla, Cebu yesterday morning.
Operatives of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG), Provincial Intelligence Branch (PIB) and Regional Intelligence Branch (RIB) found Jerry Biton, a native of Aniway, Iloilo City, working in a fighting cock farm in Barangay Guindaruhan around 9:30 a.m.