More forensic evidence needed vs. suspect in torching of 2 Koreans

-A A +A

Thursday, January 9, 2014


DNA tests have confirmed that the charred remains found inside a torched sports utility vehicle (SUV) in Barangay Sabang, Danao City were those of Korean nationals Kim “Billy” Mingyu and Yun “Esteve” Sangwon.

Senior Supt. Noel Gillamac, director of the Cebu Provincial Police Office (CPPO), said the suspect in the death of Mingyu and Sangwon was the last person to see the Koreans alive.

The police suspect the owner of a warehouse in Pakigne, Minglanilla, where the victims were last seen.

Advertisement

“However, we can’t discount the possibility there were other persons involved in the crime,” said Gillamac.

Sun.Star Cebu is withholding the name of the suspect pending the filing of charges.

A special team of police investigators is yet to discuss what charges will be filed against the suspect.

Police found witnesses in Minglanilla, who heard gunshots from the warehouse a day before the Koreans went missing.

“It’s also important that we get more forensic evidence and not only witnesses so the case would be strong,” Gillamac said.

Chief Insp. David Alexander Patriana, DNA examiner, said they received the results of the DNA tests from the Camp Crame Crime Laboratory in Camp Crame last week.

The DNA samples taken from the victims matched those of their parents.

Dr. Nestor Sator, PNP medico-legal officer, said it was difficult to get DNA samples from the victims because they were burned.

The police found part of the victims’ femur, which not charred, and took samples there.

Mingyu and Sangwon lived in a subdivision in Barangay Talamban, Cebu City and worked as middlemen of a car dealing business. They were involved in selling mostly surplus Korean vehicles.

The police suspected that the charred remains were those of Mingyu and Sangwon because they were reported missing.

The remains of the two Koreans were found by a group of children in a secluded area in Sitio Calumbangan, Barangay Sabang on Nov. 19.

The burnt SUV where the bodies were found did not have a license plate.

Meanwhile, the PNP Crime Laboratory 7 asked local government units in Central Visayas to help them build a DNA laboratory in Cebu.

Patriana said the laboratory would help solve crimes and can serve the Visayas and Mindanao.

He said the country only has one crime laboratory, located inside the PNP headquarters in Camp Crame in Manila.

“If we request for DNA sampling or test results, it takes time because the DNA lab in Crame caters to the different regions,” he added.

Patriana said about P25 million is needed to build and equip a DNA laboratory.

“It could also generate income because those who want paternity tests may avail themselves of its services,” he said.

He said the Cebu City Government has expressed interest to help.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 09, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for December 18, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • goodearth
  • Pacman blog
  • Philippine Polls
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Calamity Report
  • Habemus Papam
  • tell it to sunstar
  • ePaper
  • Festivals
  • Technology
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Obituary
  • Sinulog
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Pnoy