Total gun ban in effect in Cebu

-A A +A

Thursday, January 9, 2014


A TOTAL gun ban is now in effect in the entire Cebu until January 22 as part of the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7’s measures to ensure peace and order during the Sinulog.

With the total gun ban, which started yesterday, even those with permits to carry will not be allowed to bring firearms in public. Violators will be arrested.

Sr. Supt. Eduardo Carranza, PRO 7 Chief of Staff, said that law enforcement agencies are not exempted from the gun ban.

Advertisement

“Policemen and other law enforcement agencies are only authorized to bring their firearm if they are in proper uniform,” said Carranza, adding that those in plainclothes are prohibited from bringing firearms and will be arrested if they do so.

“No one will be exempted from this. This is to ensure the safety of the public and the prohibition of firearms is one way,” Carranza added.

Also yesterday, Cebu City police station commanders and special units of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) conducted a walk-through on all the sectors of Cebu City that will be covered during the Sinulog festival.

City Intelligence Branch (CIB) Chief Romeo Santander said they went through nine sectors and pinpointed what possible incidents might happen during the Sinulog grand parade on Jan. 19.

He said that from eight sectors last year, they added one sector which is located at Baseline near General Maxilom Avenue, where most people converge.

Sector one includes the Cebu City Sports Complex; Sector two is in Osmeña Blvd; Sector three from Juana Osmeña St passing through Fuente Osmeña circle; Sector three is from corner Jakosalem St; Sector five from General Maxilom Avenue to M.J. Cuenco Avenue; Sector six is the whole stretch of New Imus Road; Sector seven is from P.del Rosario St. to Sikatuna St.; and Sector eight is from P.del Rosario St. until N. Bacalso Ave.

Santander added that they already advised street vendors in the prohibited areas and that security preparations are ongoing to ensure the public’s safety.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 09, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for September 21, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • goodearth
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sinulog
  • Pacman blog
  • Calamity Report
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Philippine Polls
  • Habemus Papam
  • Technology
  • Obituary
  • Festivals
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • ePaper
  • Filipino Abroad