Big Brother is watching in Mandaue-A A +A
Saturday, January 11, 2014
“BEWARE. We are watching you.”
One is greeted by that warning in many business establishments in Mandaue City, as police and the City Government step up their campaign against crimes.
Supt. Petronelli Baldebrin, chief of the Mandaue City Police Office (MCPO), said the warning signs, posted at the entrance of establishments equipped with security cameras, will help deter crimes.
“We encourage establishments to post the warning stickers. We heard about the ‘martilyo gang’ striking in malls in Metro Manila. We don’t want that to happen in Mandaue,” he said in a press conference last Thursday.
Last December, a group of robbers armed with hammers robbed a jewelry store in a mall in Metro Manila in broad daylight. The suspects bought the hammers from a hardware store inside the same mall.
Baldebrin urged business owners to comply with a city ordinance requiring business establishments to install surveillance or closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras to deter criminals or help in the investigation of crimes.
Senior Insp. Allan Cuizon, MCPO deputy chief for operations, said having surveillance cameras and posting warning stickers will not only deter criminals but will also increase customer confidence.
It will also discourage employees from committing theft, encourage good behavior among them as well as the customers, and help solve crimes, said Cuizon.
The MCPO launched the stickers last Thursday, after police personnel paid a courtesy call on Mayor Jonas Cortes, who accompanied them as they posted the first sticker in the mall nearest to City Hall.
The MCPO earlier reported an increase in the number of crimes from January to August last year compared to the figures from the same months in 2012. The increase came about after petty crimes reported in barangays were included in the police blotter, Cuizon said.
From January to August 2013, the MCPO recorded 3,318 crimes, more than half of which were reported in the barangays and were mostly petty crimes. The tally is 41 percent higher than the number of crimes reported in 2012.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 11, 2014.