Dance of hope-A A +A
Saturday, January 11, 2014
DESPITE being hit by super typhoon Yolanda last November, Bogo City will be joining today’s Sinulog sa Kabataan (SK) sa Lalawigan.
Sinulog Foundation Inc. (SFI) executive director Ricky Ballesteros said in an interview yesterday he did not expect Bogo City to join, considering the damage it suffered last Nov. 8.
“After the typhoon, I went there to do outreach work with my family and nakita gyud nako nga luoy gyud kaayo sila (we saw how miserable their condition was). So I was really surprised that they are joining,” he said.
“Mo-join sila kay halad nila para kay (They will join as an offering to the) Sto. Niño,” he added.
Bogo City, which will be represented by La Paz National High School, will compete with three other schools in the secondary level of the provincial competition.
They will compete with the Uling National High School from Naga City, Sabang National High School from Danao City and Tuburan National High School from the town of Tuburan.
The SK sa Lalawigan today will have nine contingents, five in the elementary division and four in the secondary division. More than 15 contingents joined last year’s competition.
Ballesteros said he expected the competition to have fewer participants considering that the province, particularly northern Cebu, was affected by Yolanda.
More than 10 of Cebu’s northern towns lost farms, fishing boats and thousands of houses, after Yolanda swept across it and landed twice, in Daanbantayan and Bantayan towns. The typhoon’s gusts tore the roofs off schools and town halls, where families had sought shelter.
One of the contingents that will miss today’s competition is Carcar City, the defending champion in the secondary level. Ballesteros said they decided to directly join the Sinulog grand parade on Jan. 19.
Unlike in the previous years when all their dancers were high school students, this year, Carcar will use a mixed group of dancers, said Ballesteros.
Also, he said that Carcar wants to focus on the Sinulog-based category, where they want to earn the top spot. The defending champion in the Sinulog-based category is Tangub City.
For the SK sa Lalawigan elementary level, the five contingents will include the Ginatilan Elementary School from the town of Ginatilan, the hometown of the second Filipino saint San Pedro Calungsod. It will be their first time to join the Sinulog.
Other contingents are the Mandaue City Central School, Taytay Elementary School from Danao City, Langtad Elementary School from Naga City and Talisay Central School from Talisay City, which is the defending champion.
Just like the SK sa Lalawigan, tomorrow’s Sinulog sa Kabataan sa Dakbayan will also have fewer contingents.
There will only be 12 schools who will be participating, seven in the elementary division and five in the secondary division. Last year, at least 15 contingents joined.
In the elementary division, the participants are Inayawan Elementary School, Don Carlos Gothing Elementary School, Banilad Elementary School, Quiot Elementary School, Alaska Elementary School, Talamban Elementary School and Tisa II Elementary School.
Last year’s defending champion Mabolo Elementary School will not be joining this year’s competition.
Ballesteros said they will not be able to join because it is the Department of Education Cebu City Division that chooses what school district will be fielded in the Sinulog.
In the secondary division, the participants are the Ramon Duterte Night High School, Abellana National School, Don Sergio Osmeña Sr. National High School, Tejero Night High School and the defending champion Apas National High School.
The SK sa Lalawigan today and the SK sa Dakbayan tomorrow will start at 1 p.m. in the Cebu City Sports Center.
Winners of the competition will immediately earn a slot for the grand parade on Jan. 19.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 11, 2014.