Panglao, Bogo join Sinulog-A A +A
Friday, January 17, 2014
TWO contingents that will be joining the Sinulog grand parade on Sunday were affected by the 7.2 magnitude earthquake last Oct. 15 and super typhoon Yolanda last Nov. 8.
But to their members, it’s not about winning or losing this year’s competition. They just want to perform as a way to give thanks to Señor Sto. Niño.
At dawn last Thursday, the contingent from Panglao, Bohol, among the areas struck by the earthquake, arrived in the city. They are composed of 100 dancers and 50 props men and instrumentalists.
After a six-year absence, the group’s choreographer Anthony Ceniza said they decided to join this year’s grand parade to thank Sto. Niño for sparing their island from heavy damage.
“We’re also thankful that we’re alive and there wasn’t much destruction in our area.
The only thing that was broken was the roof of the oldest tower in Panglao and the roof of our church,” he told Sun.Star Cebu in Cebuano yesterday.
Ceniza said they are joining the free interpretation (FI) category. Their presentation is about the earthquake, the damage it caused to Panglao, and their dance of gratitude, he said.
“Mapildi or modaug, lipay na mi nga makasayaw ug makahatag pasalamat kay Señor Sto. Niño (Win or lose, we’re happy that we can give thanks to the Sto. Niño),” he said.
Panglao earned the fourth and third place in the FI category in the Sinulog 2006 and 2007, respectively.
Bogo City which was one of the areas in northern Cebu heavily affected by Yolanda, earned a slot in the grand parade after winning fourth place in the Sinulog sa Kabataan sa Dakbayan last Saturday.
The group’s contingent head Liza Orongon told Sun.Star Cebu they decided to join the Sinulog to also give thanks to the Sto. Niño for sparing their lives from the typhoon.
“Win or lose, offering lang gyud ni amoa ug agi pasalamat kang Señor Sto. Niño (it’s an offering of gratitude to the Sto. Niño),” she said.
Orongon said their group, which is composed of 64 dancers and 96 props men, will arrive in the city tomorrow.
Panglao and Bogo will be among the 36 contingents that are joining Sunday’s grand parade.
In a related development, Tribu Sinanduloy of Tangub City vowed to “wow and amaze” spectators with their Sinulog-based (SB) presentation.
Noriel Erap, one of the music directors of the group, said their dance, which will showcase the strength of Filipinos when Philippines was invaded by different countries, will have full of surprises.
“They should watch out for our performance. Daghan surprises murag magic (just like magic). Ma-shock sila (You’ll be shocked),” he said. Their group is composed of 98 dancers and 60 props men.
Tangub City, which has been joining the Sinulog for the last 14 years, was the champion in the SB category last year.
The 36 dancing contingents will be among the 130 participants in this year’s grand parade.
Other participants include the 41 floats, 31 higantes and 22 puppeteers.
There are fewer participants this year compared to the 142 last year.
Meanwhile, Vice President Jejomar Binay will possibly attend the grand parade, said Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama.
In his regular news conference yesterday, Rama said he was able to talk to Binay regarding this Sunday’s event.
As for President Benigno Aquino III, Rama said his office already sent an invitation to the Office of the President but they have yet to receive a response.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 17, 2014.