Seniors unable to register; lack of forms blamed-A A +A
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
SOME 30 to 50 seniors visit the Office of the Senior Citizens Affairs (Osca) every day for different transactions, but mostly to apply to become one.
However, Osca head Rolando Llaguno admitted they had to turn down a lot of applicants this year because of the lack of forms.
Llaguno expects over a thousand new seniors will be eligible for the cash aid from the Cebu City Government this year, to add to the close to 60,000 seniors in Osca’s record.
“We are very strict with our screening this year kay daghan kaayo nangangkon (There are so many who claim to be from Cebu City),” he said.
Just recently, he said, they received applicants from different other cities, including Tacloban in Leyte.
Many Taclobanons have relocated either temporarily or for the long haul to Cebu City after the area was ravaged by super typhoon Yolanda last November.
The City appropriated P10,000 each for every Cebu City senior citizen last year. The last tranche of P2,000 was given last December but there were about a thousand seniors who failed to get it for various reasons.
These seniors started claiming their P2,000 yesterday at the City Treasurer’s Office, but there is no news yet on when this will be released.
Llaguno said they had to stop accepting seniors eligible for the aid because the account closed last December and Osca failed to print new forms since it isn’t finished with its inventory.
“Let’s just finish the distribution of financial assistance for 2013. But we will give the advice on when we can accept new applicants. For now, we have to clean our records,” Llaguno said.
Mayor Michael Rama is against any form of moratorium on the acceptance of new seniors.
He said Osca should take care of the forms, but he agreed that new applicants should only be entertained after assistance for 2013 is completely distributed.
Osca has asked the Office of the City Civil Registrar to supply it with the list of deaths in 2013, that way it can cross-check with its list.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 21, 2014.