Street sweepers clean up Cebu minutes after festival-A A +A
Tuesday, January 21, 2014
LAST Sunday’s celebration of the Sinulog left an estimated 170 tons of garbage in the city’s major streets.
This, as Mayor Michael Rama said he was satisfied by the preparation and post-production aspects of this year’s Sinulog.
Sinulog Foundation Inc. (SFI) Executive Director Ricky Ballesteros said this year’s Sinulog was the best so far.
“The flow of the grand parade was smooth and the weather cooperated,” said Ballesteros.
As early as 9 p.m. last Sunday, street cleaners from the City’s Department of Public Services (DPS) had started cleaning the trash on the streets.
DPS chief Rolando Ardosa said they finished cleaning at past 6 a.m. yesterday. DPS also removed decors such as tarpaulins and “bandiritas” on the parade route.
“I was happy to see roads that were already clean early in the morning,” Rama said.
Rama said he was also satisfied with the crowd control. He said that compared with last year, the crowd was well disciplined last Sunday. He also noticed better handling of traffic.
The mayor also thanked the organizers of Sinulog for a well-prepared production.
“This year was the most challenging year for everybody, but the success of Sinulog showed the oneness and togetherness of the Cebuanos,” Rama said.
Ballesteros said the Cebuanos’ faith in Sto. Niño was the reason everybody cooperated.
Though SFI was not able to sell all the Sinulog tickets, Ballesteros believed many saw the grand parade along the carousel route.
He said SFI will still account for the ticket sales and will determine how much assistance they can extend to the towns affected by typhoon Yolanda.
SFI earlier promised to help those towns affected by the storm who usually participates during the Sinulog.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 21, 2014.