36 firearms seized at end of gun ban-A A +A
Wednesday, January 22, 2014
AS the Sinulog gun ban ends today, a total of 36 confiscated firearms had been seized and 25 persons arrested by the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 in Cebu.
“Since it’s the end of the gun ban, this means those with a permit to carry firearms are now allowed to bring their firearms,” PRO 7 Director Danilo Constantino said.
But he reminded those with a permit to carry to conceal their firearms.
“Yes, they are allowed to carry their firearms but they must not show it off,” Constantino said.
The gun ban started last Jan. 8.
Constantino said that after the full alert status during the Sinulog, they are now downgrading to heightened alert.
“Even if we are not on full alert status, it does not mean that we become lax. Security will still be tightened,” said Constantino.
Also, Constantino said they are monitoring a crime group that has arrived in Cebu from Mindanao, although this has yet to be verified.
He said this crime group might have arrived before Sinulog but plans to hit Cebu after the festivities.
“Maybe this crime group thought na magpapahinga ang mga police after the Sinulog, which is not true because intense pa din yung security dito sa Cebu,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Central Command conducted a command conference along with other law enforcement agency yesterday.
Part of the conference is to check what needs to be done to secure the region this year.
Centcom Commander John Bonafos said their calamity preparedness is one of the things they discussed, in response to the calamities that hit the region last year.
“We will provide the police with appropriate equipment and training on disaster preparedness,” said Bonafos.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 22, 2014.