CEBU -- After learning that a minor was hired for the wrecking crew, the Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) in Central Visayas region on Thursday ordered the demolition of 157 houses in Barangay Apas, Cebu City, stopped.
Dole Regional Senior Labor and Employment Officer Russel Cañete issued the work stoppage order to Sheriff Edilberto Suarin at 2 p.m. Thursday.
THERE is no joy in demolitions, even for the 200-man team tasked to carry out the court-ordered demolition of 157 houses in Sitio San Miguel, Barangay Apas, Cebu City.
They are considered villains in every demolition but they said it pains them to see families lose their homes.
THE Municipal Trial Court in Cities (MTCC) Branch 6 ruled that Aletha Suico-Magat “tolerated” the families occupying the lots in Barangay Apas, Cebu City where a demolition is being conducted.
This act of tolerance on the part of Magat was the basis for MTCC Branch 6 Judge Pamela Baring-Uy to rule that a “person who occupies the land of another at the latter's tolerance or permission, without any contract between them, is necessarily bound by an implied promise that he will vacate upon demand.”
A FORMER barangay councilor of Paknaan, Mandaue City who is allegedly engaged in selling drugs was arrested by police during a buy-bust on Wednesday.
Seized from Jonathan Dechos, 35, were a large pack, two medium packs and a small pack of alleged shabu with a street value of P30,000.
POLLUTION, denudation of watersheds and over-extraction of groundwater sources are just some of the issues affecting Metro Cebu’s water resources.
With the growing demand for water, officials of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) 7 and the Metropolitan Cebu Water District (MCWD) stressed the need for better resource management during yesterday’s Water Challenge Forum.
ARMAN Hermoso learned to write his name at the age of 37.
Hermoso, an inmate at the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC), demonstrated his newly acquired skill with a pen and a short bond paper.
THE Technical Working Group (TWG) created by the Regional Development Council (RDC) to tackle post-Yolanda recovery efforts has recommended that houses and buildings in the country must be designed to withstand typhoons with wind speeds of up to 350 kilometers per hour (kph) and 7.2-magnitude earthquakes.
This is one of the proposals of the TWG, which recommended a review of the National Building Code.
THE Cebu Provincial Government has to spend nearly P20 million to repair and retrofit buildings that were damaged by a 7.2 magnitude earthquake in October last year.
The P18.882-million project includes the main Capitol building, Cebu Cultural Center, the legislative building, Museo Sugbo and south bus terminal.
CEBU Archbishop Jose Palma was saddened over the series of fatal shootings that occurred in Cebu for the past few months including the recent murder of a high-profile lawyer.
In an interview with reporters yesterday, Palma said the murders occurring in some parts of Cebu should serve as a point of self-reflection on the value of life.
LOCAL government units (LGUs) still topped the list of state agencies with the most number of cases filed with the Office of the Ombudsman last year.
Although it stays on top of the list for three consecutive years, the number of cases filed against erring LGU personnel nationwide before the anti-graft office dropped by 655, from 2,669 cases in 2012 to 2,014 cases last year.
ONLY one provision in a 2006 ordinance that establishes the Cebu City rainwater conservation program has been fully implemented, said City Councilor Nestor Archival.
Archival said the City Government has been able to implement only one provision in Ordinance 2103, which is to require proponents of residential, commercial and industrial building projects to construct rainwater tanks or cisterns in their properties.
THE Cebu City Government paid its 19th loan amortization for the development of the South Road Properties (SRP).
City Treasurer Office in-charge-of-office Diwa Cuevas said P218 million was paid by the City last Feb. 20.
DID YOU NOTICE...
... BLUE RIBBON COMMITTEE CHIEF, Sen. Teofisto Guingona III, didn’t use “three-pointer, and buzzer-beater” when he summed up the testimony of new whistleblower Dennis Cunanan?
AFTER nearly 19 years of hiding, a 50-year-old man was arrested by police in Minglanilla, Cebu yesterday morning.
Operatives of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG), Provincial Intelligence Branch (PIB) and Regional Intelligence Branch (RIB) found Jerry Biton, a native of Aniway, Iloilo City, working in a fighting cock farm in Barangay Guindaruhan around 9:30 a.m.
WITH more people getting bitten by stray dogs, Cebu City Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella asked the Department of Veterinary Medicine and Fisheries (DVMF) to look for ways to minimize or eradicate the problem.
In a letter Labella sent to Dr. Pilar Romero, DVMF chief, he said the increase of dog bite incidents is reflected in the number of requests received by his office for vaccines and other medicines from City’s indigent constituents.
A FATHER and son were wounded after a fire broke out inside the former’s house in the mountain barangay of Balao, Barili, Cebu last Wednesday night.
Fidel Lascuna, 84, suffered second-degree burns in his arms and face, while his son Oliver, 50, suffered first-degree burn in his palm.
CEBU - The demolition of 157 houses in Sitio San Miguel, Barangay Apas, Cebu City continued Wednesday but was marred by a looting incident that led the official in charge to suspend it.
About 15 families in Sitio San Miguel, Barangay Apas filed another petition to save their houses from being demolished. Two other motions, which asked the court to issue a temporary restraining order (TRO), have failed.
CEBU Gov. Hilario Davide III announced he will appoint Task Force Paglig-on Chief Baltazar Tribunalo Jr. as head of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management (PDRRM) office starting May.
He said PDRRM Officer Neil Angelo Sanchez’s contract will end in May.
THE National Wages and Productivity Commission affirmed the decision of the Regional Tripartite Wages and Productivity Board (RTWPB) 7 granting P13 cost-of-living allowance (Cola) to Central Visayas workers.
The Cola will take effect on March 21, 15 days after the publication of the wage order in a newspaper of general circulation. The order is published in today’s issue.
POLICE are now tracking down one of the suspects responsible for the ambush of a barangay captain and his family in Toledo City late Monday afternoon.
Toledo City Police Chief Michael Anthony Bastes said they were able to identify the suspect based on witnesses’ accounts. He refused to give more details, saying it might jeopardize their investigation.
SUSPECTS in the ambush of lawyer Noel Archival may have used four firearms during the attack last Feb. 18 in Barangay Coro, Dalaguete town.
Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 Director Danilo Constantino said that based on the initial ballistic test, empty shells recovered from the crime scene came from two 9mm pistols and two M16 rifles.
A CARGO container tilted on its side while the truck carrying it was negotiating a curve near the foot of the Marcelo Fernan Bridge in Barangay Pusok, Lapu-Lapu City yesterday afternoon.
The driver and his co-worker, who were delivering used clothes to a company inside the Mactan Economic Zone in Barangay Basak, were unhurt.
FARMERS should start preparing for El Niño, which international weather and climate prediction centers say is expected to hit the country this June, the Department of Agriculture (DA) 7 said.
DA 7 Assistant Director Marina Hermoso urged farmers to apply the lessons learned from super typhoon Yolanda and other calamities that have hit the country.
THE Philippine Constitution, a lawyer said, guarantees freedom of expression.
But it should not be abused especially by social media users, said Raymond Fortun.
RELOCATION sites in Camotes and Bantayan that only have tax declarations will be acquired for Yolanda survivors.
Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide will send assessors to these islands to help local governments.
CEBU Archbishop Jose Palma urged the faithful to celebrate the Lenten Season by showing “true love” through self-denial and sacrifice.
In his Ash Wednesday homily at the Cebu Metropolitan Cathedral yesterday, Palma said the traditional imposition of the ashes is a reminder of the sins we commit and the opportunity to repent.
A SUPREME Court decision in February 2011 supports the claim of Aletha Suico-Magat over Lots 942 and 947 in Sitio San Miguel, Barangay Apas in Cebu City.
Mactan Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) General Manager Nigel Paul Villarete furnished Gov. Hilario Davide III a copy of the Deed of Conveyance issued in favor of Aletha, Edward and Rex Suico, Roselyn Lawsin and Kharla Suico-Gutierrez.
PUBLIC kindergarten teachers in Mandaue City were given lapel microphones by the Mandaue City Government last Monday.
City Hall spent P439,000 from its Special Education Fund for the gadgets, which were distributed to 147 teachers.
THE House committee on transportation will call for an initial hearing on the controversial bidding for the improvement of the Mactan Cebu International Airport.
Rep. Raul del Mar (Cebu City, north district) said the first committee hearing will be next Wednesday, March 12, before Congress adjourns on the 15th. The committee is chaired by Rep. Cesar Sarmiento (Catanduanes).
THE Mactan Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA) expressed its willingness to discuss the improvement of the airports in Sta. Fe in Bantayan Island and San Francisco in Camotes Island.
No specific agency operates the two airports now, said Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III.