Jalosjos may get heart surgery-A A +A
Monday, January 27, 2014
FORMER Dapitan City mayor Dominador Jalosjos Jr. said the date of his open heart surgery will depend on the recommendation of his surgeon.
Jalosjos, who has been confined at the Cebu Doctors’ Hospital (CDU) after he surrendered to the police on Jan. 23, said he yielded to the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) in Central Visayas since his arrest warrant was issued by a Cebu City-based judge.
He said he had no worries about the security measures inside the hospital.
“Their facilities here (CDU) are good,” he told Sun.Star Cebu.
Before Judge Soliver Peras ordered the Cebu City jail to guard Jalosjos in his room,
the former mayor has two personal body guards detailed in his room.
Jalosjos said his hospital confinement will depend on the recommendation of his cardiovascular surgeon, Peter Mancao, who reportedly set the former mayor to an open heart surgery in the coming weeks.
Jalosjos said Mancao told him he is still observing his health and what medicines he would take.
The CIDG-7 operatives served the arrest warrant for Jalosjos while he was in the hospital last week to start serving his sentence of one year and six months following
his conviction of robbery about 44 years ago.
Jalosjos, 72, will remain in the hospital due to his “life-threatening” heart ailments.
Judge Peras granted the request of Inocencio dela Cerna, lawyer of Jalosjos, to allow his client to stay in his executive room of the hospital as he prepares for his heart operation.
Jalosjos yielded himself to the CIDG on Jan. 23, following the arrest warrant issued by Judge Peras last Nov. 9, 2013.
The CIDG operatives went to Jalosjos’s executive room in the hospital at noontime and took his fingerprints and mugshots.
The arrest warrant against Jalosjos stemmed from his conviction of robbery on April 30, 1970 by then Circuit Criminal Court and now Regional Trial Court (RTC) of Cebu City.
Jalosjos applied for probation, but the trial court later revoked it after he failed to complete the terms and conditions of his parole and probation.
A warrant of arrest was then issued against him, but the police were unable to arrest him.
Government prosecutors then filed a motion for the issuance of an alias warrant of arrest, arguing that the certification of probation issued by a parole and probation officer was falsified.
Judge Gilbert Moises, in his April 25, 2011 two-page order, later granted the prosecutors’ appeal and ordered the issuance of an alias arrest warrant against Jalosjos for him to serve his sentence.
Moises, presiding judge of the Regional Trial Court Branch 18, later inhibited from hearing the case.
When the case was raffled off to Peras, he denied for lack of merit Jalosjos’s motion for reconsideration and ordered the issuance of an alias warrant of arrest.
Prior to Jalosjos’s surrender, lawyer dela Cerna wrote Supt. Fermin Armendarez, CIDG-7 officer in charge, that the former mayor was about to surrender “after a soul-searching assessment of the entire events.”
Dela Cerna said Jalosjos opted to voluntarily yield himself to the police “in order to spare the government the time, efforts, trouble and expenses.”
Jalosjos’s surgeon, Dr. Mancao, diagnosed him with coronary artery disease, pulmonary disease, hypertension, among others.
“It is recommended that he is confined in a hospital so immediate actions be taken for the pre-operative work-up to prepare him for surgery to repair this serious and life-threatening condition,” read Mancao’s medical certificate.
Mancao will appear before Judge Peras on Wednesday to convince the court why the convict should remain in the hospital.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 28, 2014.