Pagcor funds for hospital bills-A A +A
Monday, January 27, 2014
CEBU City Hall’s executive department seeks to charge to Pagcor funds the P2.2 million it owes the five hospitals that accommodated the Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC) in-patients following the 7.2-magnitude earthquake that hit the Visayas in October last year.
The hospitals that the City needs to pay include Cebu Velez General Hospital, Chong Hua Hospital, Adventist Hospital Cebu, Cebu Doctor’s University Hospital and Perpetual Succour Hospital.
Based on the billing the hospitals submitted dated Jan. 9 this year, the City owes P54,081.35 to Velez; P1,152,079.18 to Chong Hua; P142,843.69 to Adventist; P436,617.11 to Cebu Doctors; and P419,986.19 to Perpetual Succour. The total hospital bills the City has to pay reached P2,205,607.52.
During the City Council’s Jan. 22 session, Councilor Dave Tumulak filed a resolution asking the legislative body to approve the charging of the P2.2 million to the City’s Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp. (Pagcor) funds.
The City receives some P4 million every month from Pagcor for allowing them to operate casinos in the city.
“It is the responsibility of the City Government to extend the needed assistance to these in-patients whose confinement at the CCMC were disrupted by the natural disaster,” said Tumulak in his one-page resolution.
Based on the Pagcor guidelines, Tumulak said the Pagcor funds can be used for “projects which involves extension of emergency assistance to the victims of disasters or other calamities and terrorism.”
The City Treasurer’s Office issued a certification that funds are available to cover the hospitalization bills of CCMC patients who were transferred to the five hospitals.
The council, though, referred first Tumulak’s resolution to the committee on budget and finance, headed by Councilor Margarita Osmeña for report and recommendation.
To recall, there were 30 CCMC in-patients who were transferred to other hospitals following the earthquake.
This, since the hospital building sustained heavy damage during the incident and was declared unsafe for occupancy.
The transfer of the patients was handled by the City Hospitalization and Medicines Program. All of the patients have already been discharged last year yet.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 27, 2014.