DSWD: Fund-raiser for new CCMC needs permit-A A +A
Tuesday, January 28, 2014
THE Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) 7 has ordered the Cebu City Government to secure a permit so it can continue its fundraising campaign for the construction of a new Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC).
The DSWD 7 reversed its earlier opinion that City Hall is not required to obtain a permit from their agency to proceed with its “Piso Mo, Hospital Ko” fund drive.
In a Jan. 16 letter, DSWD 7 Director Mercedita Jabagat told Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella that the initial opinion was based on the premise that the solicitation activity of the City was being conducted only at City Hall or at the hospital.
“(But) it has been found that the solicitation is not only within the boundaries of the city. A Facebook account has been created for the “Piso Mo, Hospital Ko” campaign, thus reaching a wider range of coverage,” said Jabagat.
The Facebook page was created last Oct. 20 and earned almost a thousand likes in just
Jabagat pointed out that DSWD Administrative Order (AO) 14, Series of 2007, or the Revised Omnibus Rules and Regulations on Public Solicitations, stipulates that all those engage in solicitation for public welfare purposes should secure a permit from DSWD.
“While local chief executives may have the authority to issue solicitation permit, this is only limited to activities within their respective areas of jurisdiction,” Jabagat said.
DSWD 7 assistant director Nemia Antipala told Labella earlier that the City Hall did not need a permit to ask funds for the new hospital project.
She cited the same AO 14, which states that the mayor “can issue permits, without need of approval therefor from any national agency, for holding of activities for any charitable or welfare purposes, excluding prohibited games of chance or shows contrary to law, public policy and public morals.”
Labella said the City Government will comply with the latest DSWD requirement in the spirit of transparency and accountability.
But the vice mayor said he will confer first with Mayor Michael Rama, who is on leave.
The Cebu City Government is trying to raise P1 billion to build a new city hospital as the existing CCMC was declared unsafe after a 7.2 magnitude earthquake on Oct. 15, 2013.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 28, 2014.