Cedric Lee’s firm places bid on Balili property

-A A +A

Wednesday, January 29, 2014


CEDRIC LEE, one of the suspects in the attack of comedian and TV host Vhong Navarro, visited the Capitol last week to present his firm’s proposal for a waste-to-energy (WTE) facility on the Balili property in Naga City.

Lee is connected with Waste Management Inc. (WMI).

Melita Labarejos, Provincial Planning and Development Office (PPDO) head, said she and members of the Provincial Engineer’s Office and the Provincial Assessor’s Office sat down with Lee at the Provincial Administrator’s Office.

Labarejos said WMI is the fourth firm to show interest in putting up a WTE facility in the province.

Brainchild

She said the first three companies’ proposals and company background had been sent to the Department of Energy for technical evaluation.

The project was conceived during the time of Gov. Hilario Davide III’s predecessor,
now Third District Rep. Gwendolyn Garcia.

In December 2012, Garcia said the Capitol would sign an agreement with WMI to rent seven hectares of the Balili property for the project.

She projected that the Capitol could earn P850.47 million for the 25 years that WMI would operate the facility.

When Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale became acting governor after Garcia was suspended for an administrative case, she said WMI asked if it could put up the facility somewhere else after it found out that the Balili property was under litigation.

In a separate interview, Davide said he also met Lee after the latter visited his office last year and informed him about the project.

No contract

“I’ve checked the records. There was a failure of bidding at that time. There’s no contract between this company and the Province,” Davide said.

The governor said Lee showed a memorandum of agreement between WMI and another firm but he was not able to check the signatories of the document.

“Ilang company ug company nga wala ka-qualify, nag-form sila og consortium. Mao na’y ilang basis karon nga nidaug sila (Lee’s company and another company that did not qualify for the bidding formed a consortium. That’s their basis that they won),” Davide said.

He said he took this up with members of the Economic Enterprise Council last year and they found out that a failed bidding occurred.

Labarejos said although there are already proposals from different companies, bidding is still part of the process.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on January 29, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

sunstar-cebu-2014-08-24

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Obituary
  • Calamity Report
  • Sinulog
  • Technology
  • ePaper
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Pacman blog
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Habemus Papam
  • goodearth
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Festivals