Man, 32, charged with rape, nabbed-A A +A
Monday, February 17, 2014
A WEEK after undergoing surgery, Edgardo Igot was arrested last Sunday by the City Intelligence Branch (CIB) of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO).
The 32-year-old had a pending warrant of arrest for a rape case.
Police were aware that Igot had an operation, but when they got wind of his plan to escape after recovering, they took into custody.
CIB Chief Romeo Santander said they received a tip from an informant that Igot was hospitalized for appendicitis.
“Pag-verify na namo, nakagawas na diay siya sa (When we verified the information, he had already left the) hospital so we arrested him in his house (in Barangay Suba),” Santander.
The police were armed with an arrest warrant issued by Regional Trial Court Branch 28 Judge Gilbert Moises.
Santander said Igot was accused of raping a 34-year-old woman last March.
He said the victim was having a drinking spree with friends. After she got drunk, Igot allegedly entered her room and sexually abused her.
“Walay apil ang suspect sa gikainom sa victim. Bali, mura kuno siya og gisundan (Igot was not drinking with them. It appeared that he followed her),” Santander said.
Igot is detained in the CCPO stockade.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 18, 2014.