Customers try to connect with City over ‘slow net’

-A A +A

Wednesday, February 19, 2014


THE slow internet connection that users experience has been brought to the attention of the Cebu City Council.

This, after the legislative body held a public hearing regarding the matter yesterday.

Christian Caomiran, a law student from the University of San Jose-Recoletos, lamented the “very substandard services” that telecommunication companies provide, adding that he can’t research cases he need for his studies.

Advertisement

Caomiran, a Philippine Long Distance Telephone (PLDT) subscriber, also lamented the failure of the telecommunication companies to immediately repair their internet connection everytime the services bogged down.

He said it took the company almost three weeks to restore his internet connection, which had been cut off last month.

Abner Lagdameo, for his part, questioned why the internet speed is not uniform and consistent all throughout the day.

“Fluctuation seems to be the norm and frustration and exasperation are what we experience,” said Lagdameo, who is a Globe subscriber.

Common

Councilor James Cuenco said that Caomiran and Lagdameo’s problems are not isolated cases, saying he also experiences slow internet connection.

He said his internet connection bogged down several weeks back, but has not been repaired until now.

“We should all rally against this very poor services,” he said.

Councilor Dave Tumulak, for his part, said the City Government was not spared from the intermittent internet connection provided by the telecommunication companies.

This, because the City’s command center, one of the important facilities of the City, failed to function for two days during the Sinulog celebration as it has no internet connection.

Representatives of PLDT, Globe and other telecommunication companies were present in yesterday’s session. Only Globe, however, spoke before the council.

Dong Guevarra of Globe said there are times when their internet services bogged down because of cable pilferage.

For January up to this month alone, Guevarra disclosed that they have already recorded 97 cases of cable pilferage all over the city.

To address the matter, though, Guevarra said they are in constant coordination with the barangay and the Philippine National Police to help them police their properties.

Note

For those who did not speak before the council, Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella told them to take note of the complaints raised by the internet users.

Lawyer Allan Macaraya of the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) told the legislative body that telecommunication subscribers can file a complaint against the telecommunication companies if they have not received good services from them as provided for under the Public Service Law.

The complaint should be addressed first to the companies. If they fail to act on it within 30 days, internet users can file their complain before the NTC.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 20, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for October 22, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Calamity Report
  • Pnoy
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Technology
  • ePaper
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Festivals
  • Sinulog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • goodearth
  • Philippine Polls
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Obituary
  • Pacman blog