Families of sewer cleanup victims to get aid-A A +A
Thursday, February 27, 2014
THE Talisay City Council will provide financial assistance to the families of the two men who died after inhaling poisonous fumes while cleaning a clogged sewer at the old public market in Tabunok last week.
During last Tuesday’s regular session, the council approved a resolution of Councilor Socrates Fernandez to give a P50,000 each in cash assistance to the families of Romeo Cabanes, 31, and his cousin Brendon.
The two men, along with fellow laborers Winston Campo and Lemuel Macaraya, were cleaning a clogged-up sewer in Colis Street when they accidentally inhaled poisonous fumes.
The Cabanes cousins died but Campo and Macaraya were hospitalized.
Fernandez, chairman of the committee on social services, said that with the City Council approving the additional aid, the City Government can immediately release the funds to the victims’ families.
Before Fernandez filed his resolution, Mayor Johnny de los Reyes had given P5,000 each to the victims’ families. He also promised to provide jobs to the victims’ immediate relatives.
De los Reyes also boosted precautions to ensure that the sewer in Colis Street will no longer clog up, including providing security personnel to guard the area.
The clogged-up sewer was blamed for the continuous flooding in Colis Street, which lasted for close to two months, affecting marketgoers and vendors in the old public market.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on February 27, 2014.