Portion of Sergio Osmeña Blvd. closed for 5 months

-A A +A

Saturday, March 8, 2014


A PORTION of Sergio Osmeña Blvd. will be closed to vehicular traffic starting March 11 once the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) 7 begins road concreting work there.

The work will affect the portion after the intersection of Gen. Maxilom Ave.-Sergio Osmeña Blvd. up to Juan Luna Ave. Extension-Sergio Osmeña Blvd. intersection.

The Cebu City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) advised motorists traveling on Sergio Osmeña Blvd. going north to make a right at the Gen. Maxilom Ave.-Sergio Osmeña Ave. intersection and use the Port Service Road. They should exit the Port Service Road at the intersection of Juan Luna Ave. Extension and Sergio Osmeña Blvd. and proceed to Mandaue City.

Advertisement

South-bound vehicles should make a right at the intersection of Juan Luna Ave. Extension and Sergio Osmeña Ave., turn left at Jose Briones St., make a left upon reaching Gen. Maxilom Ave. then turn right on Sergio Osmeña Ave.

Experimental

“It (road work) is meant to do good for the City. We're doing everything we can to facilitate traffic,” said Citom Executive Director Rafael Yap.
He said the traffic plan is still in the experimental stage as Citom is also looking for other alternatives.

The road closure will last five months.

“This will allow DPWH 7 to maximize work without interruption and complete the rehabilitation project as scheduled,” stated a traffic advisory from the Philippine Information Agency (PIA). “This temporary closure is estimated to last for a period of five months only, after which, work on the other sections will follow within the allotted total contract duration of 450 calendar days.”

The project, which will cover 2.5 kilometers of Sergio Osmeña Blvd., will involve removal of existing asphalt pavement and replacing it with concrete.

Worsen

The project will be undertaken by the WT Construction.

Yap said traffic is expected to worsen when the 22 Cebu City Regional Trial Court branches become fully operational at the Qimonda IT Center at the North Reclamation Area.

The courts had to transfer to the Qimonda IT Center because the Marcelo Fernan Palace of Justice was damaged by a 7.2 magnitude earthquake in October last year.

According to a traffic study, 30,330 vehicles use Sergio Osmeña Blvd. from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. There are 14,108 vehicles in the morning with peak hours from 9 to 10. Afternoon peak hour is between 5 and 6.

The traffic volume on the road from noon to 6 p.m. is 16,222.

The road project would have started last January but Mayor Michael Rama blocked it because of the volume of people that is expected in Cebu City because of the Sinulog.

Rama urged DPWH 7 to complete the road project by November before Christmas and Sinulog 2015.

The DPWH 7 project is exempted from the ban on road work between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m. (JGA)

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 08, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for October 21, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Philippine Polls
  • Habemus Papam
  • ePaper
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Calamity Report
  • Pacman blog
  • Festivals
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Obituary
  • goodearth
  • Pnoy
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Technology
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sinulog