Agencies offer work to Yolanda survivors-A A +A
Thursday, March 13, 2014
THE Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) allotted about P59 million for the temporary employment of typhoon Yolanda survivors in the northern Cebu.
This, as the Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) allocated P7.320 million for emergency jobs for Yolanda survivors in affected local government units (LGUs) in Cebu.
Local and international donors, on the other hand, contributed a total of P116.6 million in cash and in kind to the Ramon Aboitiz Foundation Inc.’s (RAFI) super typhoon Yolanda relief program last year.
The donations helped RAFI distribute food and water to 88,769 families in Cebu, Leyte and Samar provinces. RAFI also gave out 4,961 shelter kits.
But the P21-million aid from the Department of Health (DOH) 7 for hospitals in northern Cebu that were damaged by Yolanda has been delayed by government procedures.
Jennifer Quimno, community-driven enterprise development officer of DSWD 7, said they have identified 15,056 beneficiaries of the cash-for-work program for Cebu.
Each beneficiary of the DSWD program would be able to work for 15 days, Quimno said during a Philippine Information Agency 7 forum yesterday.
Work may involve planting trees, reconstructing roads and infrastructure,
rehabilitating damaged houses and other jobs to be identified by the LGU.
Quimno said the pay would range from P282 to P327 a day, depending on the nature of the job and amount of work put in by the beneficiary.
DSWD will also offer the cash-for-work program in the towns of Balamban, Borbon, Compostela, Cordova, Liloan, Madridejos, Pilar, Poro, San Francisco, Sta. Fe and Sogod, and in the cities of Danao and Talisay.
Quimno said the cash-for-work program is being implemented in Bantayan and Catmon.
In Bohol, DSWD allotted about P12 million for 1,212 beneficiaries who survived the 7.2 magnitude earthquake on Oct. 15.
The DSWD allocated P12,089,655 for the Bohol's cash-for-work program for 1,212 beneficiaries.
DOLE, on the other hand, identified 1,651 beneficiaries of its emergency employment program.
Maria Nancy Abad, technical support services chief of Dole 7, that as of Feb. 25, about P2.7 million out of the P7.32-million budget for the program has been spent.
The program has been completed in some LGUs.
Dole also allotted P16.314 million for Bohol.
Regan Rex King of the Cebu Chamber of Commerce and Industry said that sustaining assistance programs for calamity survivors is a challenge.
He said assistance to survivors tend to taper off as time passes.
RAFI also activated its network to help families in Bohol that were affected by the Oct. 15, 2013 earthquake.
RAFI received cash donations amounting to around P800,000 and goods worth P385,000 for its Bohol relief effort, which served 8,876 families in 136 barangays of the province.
“RAFI manifested our ability to rise and meet tough challenges and do what it takes to serve the communities and elevate the lives of the people,” said RAFI president Roberto Aboitiz.
Meanwhile, Dr. Jaime Bernadas, DOH 7 director, said a bidding may be conducted by the end of this month for the repair and rehabilitation of affected hospitals in Cebu Province.
About sixty health facilities in northern Cebu were damaged by Yolanda last November.
Bernadas said the LGUs have to submit first an architectural design and program of work to the DOH 7.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 14, 2014.