City Hall to remove bones from cemetery-A A +A
Sunday, March 23, 2014
TO provide victims of last Tuesday’s fire in Barangay Lorega with home lots, the Cebu City Government will remove the remains buried in the old Lorega Cemetery.
Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama calls on all the families who have relatives buried in the cemetery to claim the remains starting today. They have until March 30 to claim the remains.
Division for the Welfare of the Urban Poor (DWUP) Chief Collin Rosell said the old cemetery will be part of a re-blocking plan the City will implement in eight sitios in Barangay Lorega after the fire.
Some 200 families out of the estimated 1,300 families affected by the fire are living in the cemetery.
Though the cemetery had been declared as a residential area and families were already living there, there are still graves there.
The City has already started exhuming the bones in a portion of the old cemetery years ago, which is now the site of the socialized condominium units built by Gawad Kalinga.
“We have to totally clear all the graves to pave the way for the City’s project,” Rosell told Sun.Star Cebu.
Some 700 graves and niches still need to be dug up, Rosell said.
The cemetery is a 2-hectare property of the City.
Personnel from the DWUP, City Health Department and the barangay will be at the site to facilitate the families in claim the bones of their relatives.
Families are encouraged to bring and present papers of their dead relatives.
Rosell said the fire wiped out the names on the tombstones and it is now only the relatives who can identify the graves.
Collin said that after the deadline, the City will deposit the unclaimed remains in a temporary bone chamber. They have two options on what to do with the bones.
First is that they will transfer the bones to another cemetery. Second is to build a “memorial wall” at the old cemetery and store the bones there.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 24, 2014.