City to hire 230 workers-A A +A
Tuesday, March 25, 2014
FOLLOWING the disasters that hit Cebu last year, the Cebu City Local Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (LDRRMC) seeks to hire 230 job-order personnel.
This is expected to cost the City P19.5 million.
The 230 workers will be deployed to the 80 barangays of the city and will be responsible in the disaster preparedness there and enhance the residents’ readiness in responding to emergencies.
They will also help LDRRMC in response, relief and mitigation operations of the City during disasters.
Cebu was hit by a 7.2-magnitude earthquake last October and Typhoon Yolana last November.
The LDRRMC, presided by City Councilor Dave Tumulak, said they need additional personnel, considering that their existing people is only limited.
He said this prevents them from carrying out their functions as provided for under Republic Act 10121, or the Philippine Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Act of 2010.
This includes “strengthening the capacity of communities in mitigating and preparing for, responding to, and recovering from the impact of disasters.”
In their regular session last March 19, the City Council approved Tumulak and Councilor Gerardo Carillo’s resolution charging the P19.5 million to the P202.1 million calamity fund of the City for 2013. Carillo is the chairperson of the council’s committee on social services.
The move came after LDRRMC received a certification from the City Budget Office that the City has an unexpended balance from the 2013 calamity fund amounting to P114 million.
The Department of Budget Management and the Department of Interior and Local Government joint memorandum circular No. 2013-1 provides that the unexpended balance of a calamity may be released and used for new expenditures.
But it should have a recommendation from the LDRRMC and the submission of a revised annual investment plan that will be approved by the mayor and the legislative body.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 26, 2014.