Two cops who ‘engaged in shootout’ in trouble

-A A +A

Tuesday, March 25, 2014


TWO police officers who allegedly shot each other in Sitio Paglaum, Barangay Calamba, Cebu City last Saturday afternoon will be investigated.

They will undergo a pre-charge evaluation to determine if there is enough basis to charge them with an administrative complaint, said Insp. Arieza Otida of Cebu City Police Office (CCPO).

Sun.Star Cebu withheld their names until they comment on the incident or are charged by police.

One of them is assigned in the Mobile Patrol Group (MPG) while the other is with the Firearms, Explosives, Security Agencies and Guard Supervision 7. They both hold the rank of police officer 3 (PO3).

Otida, pre-charge investigator of Investigation and Detective Management Branch, said they are waiting for the investigation report from the San Nicolas Police Station to start the proceedings.

Motive

The alleged shooting took place past 3 p.m.

Police arrived in the area to investigate the commotion that ensued.

But Chief Insp. Chuck Barandog, head of the San Nicolas Police Station, said there was no shooting.

He said they didn’t recover any slugs or empty shells and no one also would testify the two policemen shot at each other.

Barandog said the commotion was caused by a personal grudge, but he did not elaborate.

The policemen involved in the alleged shooting who is assigned in the MPG also faced an administrative complaint for absence without official leave (Awol) and had undergone a summary hearing before the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 last year.

The recommendation, Otida said, is reportedly dismissal from service. It’s awaiting the approval of PRO 7 Director Danilo Constantino.

Automatic dismissal

Section 42 of Republic Act (RA) 6975, as amended by Section 53 of RA 8551, states that any member of Philippine National Police (PNP) who shall go on Awol for a continuous period of 30 days or more shall be dismissed immediately from service.

At the CCPO, 23 policemen faced Awol complaints last year.

“About 90 percent ani, dili na nato mahibawan ang reason kay dili naman magpakita (we don’t know why since they no longer show up),” Otida said.

In his affidavit of complaint, Chief Insp. Alexis Relado of MPG said the policeman was absent for 31 consecutive days, or from July 1 to 31 last year.

This was recorded in the MPG daily personnel accounting report and the deployment of patrol cars. The policeman was designated as a patrol car driver.

Relado, in the two-page complaint, found probable cause to indict the policeman for serious neglect for committing Awol, which is pursuant to National Police Commission memorandum circular 2007-001.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 26, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for August 29, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Philippine Polls
  • goodearth
  • Obituary
  • Habemus Papam
  • Festivals
  • Pacman blog
  • Calamity Report
  • Technology
  • Pnoy
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Sinulog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • ePaper