Dad wants officials confined

-A A +A

Wednesday, March 26, 2014


THE Cebu City Council wants the Philippine National Police (PNP) to restrict to camp the four Highway Patrol Group (HPG) 7 officials who are being linked to the ambush-slay of lawyer Noel Archival and his two companions.

In a privilege speech during the Council’s regular session yesterday, Councilor Gerardo Carillo said placing the HPG 7 members under camp restriction will ensure their availability whenever investigators need to see them.

Carillo also asked PNP Director General Alan Purisima to require all personnel of HPG 7 to surrender all their firearms and subject them to ballistic examination to determine if they match the firearms used to kill Archival, his aide and his driver last Feb. 18.

HPG 7 Chief Supt. Romualdo Iglesia, HPG 7 operations officer Chief Insp. Eduardo Mara, Sr. Insp. Joselito Lerion, and HPG 7 chief clerk SPO4 Edwin Galan were linked to the ambush-slay based on witnesses’ accounts and footage from CCTV cameras near the crime scene, among others.

Inventory

Carillo also requested Purisima to conduct an inventory of all vehicles impounded at the HPG 7 and submit a report to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) 7.

In a joint operation last week, the NBI 7 and the Cebu City Police Office’s Special Weapons and Tactics found two vehicles that were allegedly used by Archival’s assailants at the HPG impounding area in Barangay Lahug, Cebu City.

“These (HPG officials) are the same police officers who were sworn to defend and uphold the law and the same police officers who are now being subject for the investigation of a heinous crime,” he said.

“This situation is, indeed, mind-boggling,” he added.

Commended

Before ending his speech, Carillo commended the NBI 7 for a “job well done,” but requested them to continue their investigation until the mastermind is arrested and brought to court.

The council approved all of Carillo’s motion.

When told about Carillo’s speech, HPG public information officer Insp. Oliver Posadas declined to issue any statement and said they will just wait for any order from their headquarters in Manila.

“If there are orders to do those things, there’s no reason for us not to heed them. But since there is no order yet, we will refrain from making any comment,” he said.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 27, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for August 31, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Pacman blog
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Technology
  • Festivals
  • Philippine Polls
  • Habemus Papam
  • Calamity Report
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sinulog
  • goodearth
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Pnoy
  • ePaper
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Obituary