DSWD, bakery chain partner in relief work-A A +A
Sunday, March 30, 2014
DAY Care Centers and other schools in calamity-hit areas in the Visayas will benefit from a program that aims to minimize malnutrition.
The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) will now begin assessing families, survivors of typhoon Yolanda, who may still need food packs and relief assistance from the government as the month ends.
Julie’s Bakeshop partnered with DSWD for its Bayan Bread Campaign.
For every purchase of Julie’s Bayan sliced bread worth P40 in any of its chain of stores nationwide, P2 will go to DSWD’s supplementary feeding program.
Julie’s Bakeshop and DSWD formalized the partnership by signing a contract last Saturday.
DSWD Sec. Corazon “Dinky” Soliman, who was in Cebu during the signing, said her office chose to focus more on supplementary feeding programs in calamity-hit areas, such as Zamboanga, Bohol, Eastern Visayas and in northern Cebu.
“The proceeds will go to our supplementary feeding, especially those who are most vulnerable at this stage. Whatever we will be receiving, these will be focused on children who are still recovering from disasters, specifically in Zamboanga and in the Yolanda-affected areas. These are children who are trying to go back to their normal life,” Soliman said.
She said that in Zamboanga alone, there were 101 deaths, mostly malnourished children, in the evacuation centers that were recorded since the siege happened last year.
In the Visayas, Soliman said malnutrition rhave grown more severe since the parents’ ability to take care of their children has been affected due to the typhoon.
The families have been eating canned goods and noodles since they are still depending on government assistance.
In northern Cebu, Soliman said the DSWD wants to reach first Bantayan Island and Camotes.
Last Saturday, Joseph Gandionco, president and CEO of Julie’s Franchise Corp., turned over to DSWD P1 million worth of initial sales of Bayan sliced bread.
Though they have been extending relief assistance to the calamity survivors, Gandionco said they wanted to reach and help more children in the country, that is why they partnered with DSWD.
Meanwhile, Soliman denied reports that the agency will now stop the distribution of food packs and other relief assistance.
“Wala pong katutuhanan yun. Ang ating gobyerno ay handang magbigay sa lahat ng pamilya na nangangailan pa ng tulong (That is not true. The government is ready to give all the families that need help),” Soliman said.
She said that during the assessment, families will have a choice whether to receive food packs or produce their own food.
Four months after Yolanda hit, the National Government was able to spend some P4 billion in food alone for the survivors.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on March 31, 2014.