Families build houses in new lot after demolition in Bry. Apas, lose house again

-A A +A

Sunday, April 6, 2014


THE Cebu Provincial Government demolished about 20 skeletal structures of houses in a Province-owned lot in Barangay Apas, Cebu City last week.

Capitol Chief Security Officer Loy Madrigal said the houses were owned by the families who were left homeless after a demolition in Sitio San Miguel, Barangay Apas.

Last month, the houses of 157 families were demolished after the court denied the motions for a temporary restraining order, which aimed to suspend the demolition in a lot owned by Aletha Suico-Magat.

Madrigal said some of the families tried to move in a Province-owned lot in the same barangay, particularly the area behind the GMA 7 building.

He said the illegal settlers installed galvanized iron roofs on the structures.

Apprehended

Madrigal said they apprehended the families to stop the construction of their houses.

“Amo silang hatagan og chance nga i-keep ilang (We gave them a chance to keep their housing) materials,” Madrigal said.

However, the families did not heed the Capitol’s advice and continued to build their houses.

Madrigal said the Province hired a team composed of outsourced personnel to demolish the structures.

Just like any other demolition activity, the illegal settlers got angry and mentioned bad words, according to the chief security officer.

Successful

Despite the tension, Madrigal said they were able to tear down all the structures.

He said they are keeping the construction materials in the Capitol as proof of illegal squatting.

Currently, Madrigal said there are 20 security guards who are securing the area for 24 hours on shifts.

Signs were placed in the lot, saying the area is a Province-owned lot and no one is
allowed to trespass.

Madrigal said they also apprehended those residents who keep on extending their houses, especially those who already entered the Province-owned lot.

He said they already informed Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III about what happened.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on April 07, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for July 25, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Pnoy
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Pacman blog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Obituary
  • goodearth
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Sinulog
  • Festivals
  • Philippine Polls
  • Calamity Report
  • Technology
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • ePaper
  • Habemus Papam