Guard accused of killing boss faces murder charge

-A A +A

Monday, April 21, 2014


AFTER being scolded for reporting to work late, a security guard shot dead a British
national who co-owned a dive shop and resort in Malapascua Island, Daanbantayan.

Melchor Alciso Jr., 42, had planned to leave the resort in Malapasuca Island, Daanbantayan owned by his employer, British national Anthony Gilchrist, after he would receive his salary on Friday.

“Moisturya siya og sakit kaayo (He talked harshly),” said the security guard, 42. “Di makaon ang iyang mga isturya.”

Advertisement

Alciso, a widower and father of three, said he should have left Fish Buddies Dive Shop Resort much earlier than he planned.

He is from Hinduyan, Southern Leyte.

He shot Gilchrist, 34, to death on Black Saturday, at past 7 p.m.

“Nawa na ko sa akong kaugalingon ato (I was not myself that time),” said Alciso, who admitted he came in late for work after he went drinking with two friends.
Daanbantayan police charged Alciso with murder before the Cebu Provincial Prosecutor’s Office yesterday afternoon.

Alciso opted not to answer the complaint during the inquest proceeding conducted by Assistant Provincial Prosecutor Rustom Presas Jr.

The complaint, as a result, will be elevated to court for trial. Murder is a non-bailable offense.

PO3 Alfredo Mandal, chief investigator, said Alciso had an intent to kill Gilchrist, saying the suspect fired all the six bullets of his service .38 revolver.
Witness Edison Salazar, 20, said he saw Alciso shot Gilchrist after the victim turned his back.

Miingon siya ‘I’m not scared you...Wa ko mahadlok nimo,’” said Salazar.

Counter
He said he was near his locker when the incident happened near the shop’s counter.
Gilchrist, he said, ran after he was shot by Alciso, but the victim was trapped in the shop’s corner.

Salazar and his fellow employees also scampered in different direction.

Alciso said he started to work for Gilchrist in September last year. He became a
security guard in 2000 after working as a factory worker and earned P6,000 per month.

Gilchrist, he said, always scolded him even he did not commit any mistake.

Last Saturday night, a resort staff woke Alciso from his sleep when he did not report at 7 p.m.

Alciso said he fell asleep after he had a drinking binge with his friends since the morning of Good Friday.

Apologized

He apologized to Gilchrist when he reported to work, but the victim did not listen to him.

“Iya kong gibalikas (He badmouthed me),” said Alciso.

The suspect said it was the first time he reported late for work. But Salazar said Alciso was always scolded for his tardiness.

“Kutob na lang ta sa pagmahay uwahi na ang tanan (It’s too late now),” said Alciso.

Alciso had a paraffin test yesterday at the PNP Regional Crime Laboratory Office.

He said that after he shot Gilchrist six times, he lay down on the floor beside his employer and regretted what he just did.

“Naghinulsol ko sa akong gibuhat (I was sorry for what I did),” he told reporters yesterday.

PO1 Louie Mesa, of Tourist Police, said he thought the suspect also killed himself.

“Naghigda man siya didto pero nilihok man (We thought he was dead, but he moved),”
said Mesa, who went to the scene.

Surrender

It took some time for Alciso to surrender to him. The suspect locked the door of the establishment, but could be seen outside through a window.

Six empty shells and two deformed slugs of .38 revolver were found in the crime scene.

In Cebu Rolling Hills on A.S. Fortuna St., Mandaue City where Gilchrist’s remains were brought, his girlfriend Erlie Zoilo spoke of good things about him.

“Wala gyud na siya’y kontra didto. Buotan kaayo ug dili dali masuko (He had no enemies there. He was a good person and slow to anger),” said Zoilo, 23.

Zoilo lived together with Gilchrist for eight months before they broke up. They only got back together recently.

“Magkita ta mi karong adlawa kay gimingaw na siya nako (We were supposed to meet today because he missed me),” she said.

Zoilo said Gilchrist co-owned the dive shop and resort and had been living in the Philippines for four years.

The victim’s family in England is expected to arrive today.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on April 22, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for November 28, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Obituary
  • Philippine Polls
  • Sinulog
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Calamity Report
  • goodearth
  • ePaper
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Technology
  • Habemus Papam
  • Festivals
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Pacman blog
  • Pnoy
  • SunStar Celebrity