Cop tagged 3 times for drugs

-A A +A

Monday, May 12, 2014


THIRD time’s a charm, but not for SPO2 Jonas Paquibot.

Another complainant surfaced at the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 against Paquibot’s alleged moonlighting as police escort of drug dependents going to a rehabilitation center.

Sr. Supt. Rey Lyndon Lawas, acting chief of PRO 7’s Regional Investigation and Detective Management Division (RIDMD), said this is Paquibot’s third time facing a similar complaint.

Advertisement

Paquibot was previously accused of escorting a businessman from Balamban town to a rehabilitation center in Cebu City. The businessman later turned up dead in a private hospital.

In the latest complaint, Paquibot was accused of forcibly taking a man from Barangay Kalunasan and illegally admitting him to a rehabilitation center.

Sun.Star Cebu is withholding the man’s name as provided for in the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.

The complainant, in his affidavit, said he was walking along A.S. Fortuna St. in Mandaue City when three men approached and handcuffed him on June 22, 2012.

He was brought to a rehabilitation center in Barangay Lahug, Cebu City on board a Mitsubishi Pajero (YFG-460). He was committed there for six months.

The complainant identified one of the three men as Paquibot, who is assigned at PRO 7’s Regional Headquarters Support Group.

Lawas, when interviewed by reporters, said the complainant only reported to PRO 7 last March after he saw Paquibot on the news.

“He approached our office and presented his concern. It was worth investigating after finding there’s prima facie evidence,” he said.

Lawas also said the other two cases are now being scheduled for summary hearing to determine Paquibot’s culpability or innocence. DSM

In an earlier interview with reporters, Paquibot invoked his right to remain silent.

Lawas urged the public to report about police officers who are involved in illegal activities in an effort to clean the ranks.

“We want to improve the image and performance of police. Kaning mga kauban nato nga police nagbuhat ug sayop (These policemen doing illegal activities), they will hinder our direction,” he said.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 13, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for September 22, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • ePaper
  • Pnoy
  • Filipino Abroad
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Calamity Report
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Obituary
  • Festivals
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • goodearth
  • Philippine Polls
  • Pacman blog
  • Sinulog
  • Habemus Papam
  • Technology
  • Sun.Star Zup!