Cebu City to help BFP 7 pay the P1.8 million it owes Veco

-A A +A

Tuesday, May 13, 2014


CEBU City Hall and the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) 7 agreed on a sharing scheme to settle the P1.8-million bill for the electricity consumption of the BFP compound in Barangay Pahina Central.

The 24-hour disconnection notice sent by the Visayan Electric Company (Veco) to the BFP 7 briefly put the operations of the Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC) at risk, since it occupies one-third of the BFP building.

But yesterday, Mayor Michael Rama coordinated with Veco officials and made sure that the electricity would not be disconnected.

Arrangement

“Veco will never do anything like that. Even in the past, Veco would not do anything that would give the City more problems,” he told a news conference yesterday.

City Administrator Lucelle Mercado said they agreed with the BFP officials that the latter will pay one-third, or about P600,000, while the City will pay the remaining P1.2 million.

The bill was for the electricity consumption of BFP and CCMC since last October.

Mercado told reporters yesterday that the voucher for the payment is already being processed and that the check will be delivered to Veco as soon as it’s ready.

“BFP already agreed to pay one-third and we don’t mind paying the remaining amount at all because we also used the electricity,” she said.

The city hospital was transferred to the BFP building after the earthquake damaged the CCMC building last Oct. 15.

Disconnected

Since then, the CCMC has been tapping from the BFP’s power supply.

While the CCMC and the BFP 7 office were spared from any power outage, two fire sub-stations in Cebu City are not as lucky.

Cebu City Fire Marshal Rogelio Bongabong Jr. confirmed yesterday that power was disconnected in the fire stations in Barangays Labangon and Lahug after the BFP failed to settle their Veco bills.

“What happened was the accountant was replaced and there was no proper turnover of the paperwork. No one could sign the vouchers and prepare the checks so we were not able to pay on time,” he told Sun.Star Cebu.

Power was still out in both stations yesterday noon, but Bongabong said they would pay Veco in the afternoon.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 14, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for July 30, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Habemus Papam
  • Obituary
  • Calamity Report
  • goodearth
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Pacman blog
  • ePaper
  • Pnoy
  • Festivals
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Technology
  • Sinulog
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Filipino Abroad
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Philippine Polls