Junquera St. fire eats up eatery kitchen, 5 houses-A A +A
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
A THIRTY-minute fire destroyed five houses on Junquera Street, Barangay San Antonio, Cebu City yesterday morning.
The fire started at 5:56 a.m. and was controlled at 6:24 a.m.
The Bureau of Fire and Protection (BFP) 7 declared it a second alarm, with all fire trucks from the Cebu City Fire Department responding.
SFO1 Lowel Opolenticima said the flames started in the kitchen of the Chinese Ngohiong eatery owned by Josephine Prostero.
Opolenticima said that while one employee was cooking ngohiong in a large frying pan, the cook poured a bottle of cooking oil mixed with water, which ignited the fire.
Burning oil mixed with water will cause the oil to explode into a fireball.
The fire spread through the neighborhood, destroying five houses at the back of the eatery.
Estimated cost of property damage is P300,000.
Opolenticima said the houses destroyed were made of light materials.
The eatery was damaged.
A four-storey building adjacent to the eatery was saved because of a fire wall.
Firemen did not have difficulty putting out the fire since it was along the road and near the BFP 7 and the Cebu City fire station.
Traffic was rerouted as enforcers had to close Junquera Street from corner P. del Rosario St. to R. R. Landon St. as firefighters tried to control the fire within 30 minutes.
No one was injured in the incident.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 15, 2014.