City to sue for seniors’ perks-A A +A
Thursday, May 15, 2014
THE Cebu City Legal Office warns to sue at least eight establishments in the city that allegedly failed to give senior citizens some discounts required by the law.
The business establishments—including a spa, restaurant, gas station and pharmacy—allegedly failed to give the 20 percent discount that seniors are supposed to get under Republic Act 9994 or the Expanded Senior Citizens’ Act of 2010.
Failing to give the mandated discounts violates the state’s policies for the elderly, said City Legal Officer Jerone Castillo.
The Office of the Senior Citizens Affairs (OSCA) sought the legal office’s help after they received several complaints on the matter.
Castillo has invited to a clarificatory conference the first five establishments: Platinum Nail and Spa’s Mabolo branch, Yaki House Restaurant in Banilad, Carland Caltex Services Station on N. Bacalso Ave., Rose Pharmacy Colon branch and La Nueva Pharmacy.
The conference will be held starting today until May 19.
In his letter-complaint sent to the OSCA, Atty. Teodoro Almanse narrated how the staff in Yaki House Restaurant refused to give them a discount, reportedly because they had ordered a la carte.
Almanse recalled that he and his wife presented their senior citizen’s identification cards to avail themselves of the discount, but the waiter and cashier refused.
Ara Ang, the cashier on duty at Yaki House Restaurant, said they received the notice from the City Government and will submit this to the owner as soon as he gets back from a commitment out of town.
A receptionist at Platinum Nail and Spa, who declined to give her name, said a copy of the notice was already sent to the owners of the establishments, who expressed their willingness to appear before the City’s legal office.
“We are giving them the chance to explain because we want to know what happened,” Castillo said.
But if they fail to attend the hearing, Castillo said, the City will file a case against them and will recommend to Mayor Michael Rama to issue a closure order.
Meanwhile, senior citizens in Mandaue City will receive an increased financial assistance from the City Government, half of it to be released next month.
From P2,000 last year, the City Government will release P3,000 to each qualified senior citizen this year, as promised by Mayor Jonas Cortes, said Mandaue City Public Information Officer Roger Paller.
Last Tuesday, the new officers of the Federation of Senior Citizens in Mandaue City Philippines Inc. were inducted into office by the mayor.
Perfecto Perilla from Barangay Tipolo, the new president, said the federation has 14,936 members as of April. He said the P3,000 that each senior citizen this year will receive would help pay for their medication and food.
The City Government will release half of the senior citizens’ financial assistance by June and the other half in December.
Paller said the federation members should bring their senior citizen’s identification card and endorsement letter from the barangay captain and chapter president, when the funds are released.
Aside from the financial assistance, Paller said, each senior citizen will have a 50 percent discount if they need to be confined in the Mandaue City Hospital.
The City also provided two service vehicles to the federation and had the federation’s office behind the city hospital renovated.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 15, 2014.