City Hall investigates acting treasurer, staff-A A +A
Friday, May 16, 2014
THE Cebu City Legal Office will investigate two officials in relation to the unreleased funding for last month’s midnight marathon at the South Road Properties (SRP).
City Legal Office Chief Gerone Castillo said their investigation will only involve Acting City Treasurer Diwa Cuevas and Rainer Ramos, an employee of the Cebu City Sports Commission.
He said it will not involve Councilor Richie Osmeña, chairperson of the City Council committee on games, amusement and sports, because the executive branch of the City Government does not have power to investigate or discipline members of the legislative body.
He said only the Office of the President or the Office of the Ombudsman can investigate Osmeña.
Cuevas, Ramos and Osmeña were the subject of a complaint filed before Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella by sports event organizer Jeson Guardo, president of G-Concept.
Despite repeated follow-ups, Guardo said the three individuals “unduly withheld” the release of the remaining P300,000 for the marathon.
The City Government reportedly agreed to give P400,000 for the marathon but only P100,000 was released.
In an interview yesterday, Castillo said their office will be calling Ramos and Cuevas for a clarificatory conference next week.
“We want to know what happened. If there are grounds for administrative charges, then we cannot close our eyes,” he said.
Lawyer June Maratas, who leads the investigation team, said that once Cuevas and Ramos are able to explain the circumstances related to the incident, they will submit a report with recommendations to Mayor Michael Rama.
Castillo said they City Legal Office will refer Guardo’s complaint to the City Council, which can decide whether it would forward the matter to the Office of the President or the Office of Ombudsman.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 17, 2014.