CH wants to start housing projects, seeks Binay’s help-A A +A
Sunday, May 18, 2014
THE Cebu City Government is asking the National Housing Authority (NHA), through Vice President Jejomar Binay, to release the P78-million loan it has applied for to finance two medium-rise housing projects.
City Administrator Lucelle Mercado and Division for the Welfare of the Urban Poor (DWUP) Head Collin Rosell discussed the matter with Binay during the latter’s recent visit to Cebu.
Once the clearing operation at the old Lorega cemetery is completed, the City wants to start construction, Mercado said.
The City already submitted to NHA the loan requirements, such as the project proposal, feasibility study and the recovery scheme.
Also, the City Council has already authorized Mayor Michael Rama to enter into a memorandum of agreement with NHA 7 for the funding.
Rosell said Binay told them he would follow up the status of the City’s loan application.
He said they showed the vice president the site where the two buildings will rise.
“The biggest challenge that we have to deal is on the clearing of the site, given that it was a cemetery before,” Rosell said.
Last month, the City started to clear the area, which was occupied by informal settlers, after a big fire struck Barangay Lorega.
The two four-story buildings will accommodate 174 families. Each building will have 87 units.
Its occupants will be families living along danger zones like those within the three-meter easement of rivers and creeks, among others.
The City, though, has yet to finalize the list of beneficiaries since the DWUP still has to evaluate the families who need to be relocated immediately. (RVC)
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 18, 2014.