Officials reviewing papers for P10.2-B recla project

-A A +A

Friday, May 23, 2014


THE Lapu-Lapu City Government wants the proposed 400-hectare reclamation project, which is estimated to cost P10.2 billion, to be implemented next year.

Mayor Paz Radaza said in a news conference that they are reviewing documents submitted by four investors interested to undertake the Mactan North Reclamation and Development Project (MNRDP).

“It will be a long process, but we hope the project will materialize next year,” she added.

Advertisement

The reclamation will be undertaken along the coast of Barangays Ibo, Buaya and Mactan.

The reclaimed land will host ports, warehouses, a golf course, information technology establishments, commercial centers, resorts and other tourism facilities. Investments in the area are expected to generate some 40,000 jobs.

No rush

But Radaza said the City is not in a hurry to implement the MNRDP, with a number of other big projects soon rising in the city.

These include the planned expansion of the Mactan Newtown, which is being developed by Megaworld Corp. and the expansion of the Mactan-Cebu International Airport.

The MNRDP was unveiled in 2008 but suffered a setback after it was opposed by the Regional Development Council, then chaired by former Cebu governor now Rep. Gwendolyn Garcia (3rd district), for supposedly not undergoing consultations with affected stakeholders.

The project regained momentum after President Benigno Aquino III included it in his list of priority projects to be undertaken through public-private partnership.

Radaza said the project will lead to economic development in the city. She pointed out, though, that only low- and medium-rise buildings can be constructed in the reclaimed land because of a policy restricting high-rise buildings in areas where there are airports.

Preparations

In 2009, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources granted the City an environmental compliance certificate to implement the project.

It has also formed a multi-sectoral team to monitor the City and the developer’s compliance with environmental regulations.

In February last year, environmentalists and a group of fishers called on the National Government to stop for at least 10 years all reclamation projects proposed by local government units, including the one in Mactan.

The Central Visayas Fisherfolk Development Center sent a resolution to the Office of the President calling for the moratorium on reclamation projects.

According to the group, there were seven reclamation projects lined up in Metro Cebu, and these could damage some 6,000 hectares of marine habitat and marine life.

The group said that apart from Mactan, reclamation projects are proposed in the cities of Naga, Talisay and Mandaue, and in the towns of Minglanilla and Consolacion.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 23, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for October 23, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Festivals
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Philippine Polls
  • Obituary
  • Pacman blog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Pnoy
  • goodearth
  • Calamity Report
  • Technology
  • ePaper
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Sinulog