3 men on crime spree shoot 2 persons

-A A +A

Monday, May 26, 2014


POLICE are looking for three men responsible for shooting two persons and stealing
five vehicles last Sunday night.

Theft and Robbery Section (TRS) Chief Noli Cernio said they are still trying to determine the motive since the perpetrators abandoned the vehicles in different areas.

“Murag dili to pangawat, tripping rato nila. Basin initiation to sa usa ka gang or nagdrugs to sila that time (We don’t believe it was a carjacking. They were just tripping. It might have been part of an initiation or maybe they were high on drugs),” Cernio said.

Advertisement

The three men’s first victim was taxi driver Elenito Catalla.

Unprovoked violence

Catalla said three men flagged him on Jakosalem St., Cebu City and asked to be taken to Minglanilla.

When they reached Barangay Pooc, Talisay City, he said the three men forced him to get
out of the taxi and left him in a gasoline station.

This was around 10 p.m., Catalla said.

The three men drove to Barangay Tabunan, Cebu City, where they bumped a motorcycle driven by Gazoni Alibango.

Alibango and his passenger Julius Capuno were thrown into the street. One of the perpetrators approached them and asked for a gun. When they couldn’t produce one, he shot Capuno in the stomach.

Ramil Abatayo, who was passing by the area, stopped and tried to help, thinking there had been an accident. He was struck in the head with the gun.

The three men left on board Abatayo’s motorcycle and headed to Ayala Heights.

On their way there, they encountered Eleanor Rivera’s sports utility vehicle (SUV) parked beside the road.

Unexplained abandonment

They approached the vehicle and ordered Rivera and her housemaid to get out. They then shot Rivera.

They got on board the SUV and proceeded to Barangay Babag, Cebu City where they saw John Paul Zamora driving his motorcycle.

They took his motorcycle and headed to Barangay Bonbon, Cebu City where they commandeered a multicab.

Police failed to get the multicab’s driver.

The three men reached Plaza Housing in Barangay Busay, Cebu City around 2 a.m. yesterday.

They abandoned the vehicle and got on board a jeepney bound for the city.TRS police have yet to identify the three men.

Cernio said they still have to get their descriptions from the victims.

As for Capuno and Rivera, they were taken to a hospital in Cebu City.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 27, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for September 30, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Festivals
  • Sinulog
  • Technology
  • Pnoy
  • Philippine Polls
  • goodearth
  • Filipino Abroad
  • ePaper
  • Habemus Papam
  • Obituary
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Calamity Report
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Pacman blog
  • Sunstar Multimedia