Capitol now ready to pay P80 million for tourist buses

-A A +A

Wednesday, May 28, 2014


THE Cebu Provincial Government is now processing the payment for P80 million worth of tourist buses that Capitol bought in 2012.

Gov. Hilario Davide III said they asked the officials of ConEquip Philippines to submit the necessary documents for the payment.

ConEquip delivered 26 tourist buses during the administration of former governor Gwendolyn Garcia, now congresswoman of the third district.

The buses were given as reward to top-performing local government units in the Expanded-Green and Wholesome Environment that Nurtures (E-Gwen) Our Cebu.

The vehicles were intended to be used for the Suroy-suroy Sugbo, the Capitol’s tourism program.

However, the payment for the supplier was delayed after Capitol officials found out that the purchase was not authorized by the Provincial Board (PB) that time.

The PB passed a resolution authorizing the purchase only a year after the buses were delivered.

Yesterday, Magpale said that PB Member Arleigh Sitoy tried to withdraw the resolution ratifying the contract of ConEquip in 2013.

In a separate interview, Sitoy said he wanted to withdraw the resolution last year because he wanted to check first if it is regular and legal to ratify the purchase made by the previous administration.

He also said the Capitol lacked funds that time and there were other payables that should be prioritized.

Magpale then sought the opinion of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG).

However, DILG said the resolution cannot be withdrawn since it was already approved by the PB and is good as ratified, Magpale said.

It also meant that the Capitol has to pay the supplier.

Davide said the Provincial General Services Office head already met with an official of ConEquip and informed him of the lacking documents.

“If they comply with that and then we see that their papers are in order, we can probably authorize payment already,” Davide said, adding that the funds for it are ready.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on May 29, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for July 25, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Technology
  • tell it to sunstar
  • goodearth
  • Sinulog
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Philippine Polls
  • ePaper
  • Festivals
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Obituary
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Calamity Report
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Pnoy
  • Pacman blog