Kings to NBI: Help

-A A +A

Saturday, June 14, 2014


A MEMBER of slain businessman Richard King’s family sent a letter to the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) 7 yesterday morning, asking for the agency’s help in solving the murder.

“We would like to request a thorough investigation regarding the death of my brother…in Davao City. As per news report, this was done by a still unidentified gunman,” read the letter from King’s brother, Rafael, to NBI 7 Director Max Salvador.

The senior NBI agent who received the letter because Salvador was on leave said the family wants to know if King’s death has a connection to his businesses in Cebu. The agent spoke on anonymity since the case was not yet assigned to him.

Advertisement

King, 57, was having dinner with his employees and guests inside the Vital C Building on Sobrecary St., Davao City last Thursday, when a man walked in at 6:45 p.m. and shot him in the head. The man used a .45 pistol.

Reward

Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte raised the reward for information on the Cebu-based businessman’s killer from the P200,000 originally offered by the family to P500,000.

Duterte offered to add the P300,00 from the bounty originally raised by businessmen
for the arrest of Baktin Yu.

Davao City Police Office (DCPO) Director Vicente Danao Jr. yesterday said they are looking at all angles, including the possibility that a business rivalry provoked the attack.

King was known not to bring a security escort with him whenever he visited Davao City, said Danao.

“Diyan sa Cebu, allegedly marami siyang kasama (In Cebu, he allegedly goes around with some people). Dito wala siyang armed security personnel to protect him. Siguro very confident siya dito (In Davao, he had no armed security personnel. Perhaps he was very confident here),” Danao said.

The police, Danao added, have already come up with a facial composite of the assailant, but will not release it pending a follow-up operation.

Family meeting

Mayor Duterte had called for a press conference early last night at the Royal Mandaya Hotel, which he cut short for a closed-door meeting with two women from the King family, who flew in from Cebu.

Duterte was quick to dismiss rumors that the attack may have been drug-related.

“Dili na drugs. Dili mamakak ang pulis niana (This has nothing to do with drugs. The police would not lie about such things),” he said.

In Cebu, the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 is coordinating with authorities in Davao City to help solve the attack on King.

Chief Supt. Prudencio Tom Bañas, PRO 7 director, said they will aid Davao police investigators as regards King’s background and business interests. They can also conduct a parallel investigation.

Witnesses said they saw King’s assailant outside the office door, but no one gave him much attention thinking that he must be a companion of one of their fellow distributors.

No guard

King was in Davao City for the acceptance ceremony of the 13 wellness consultants of Vital-C. He was standing and talking to his staff, distributors, and guests at the ground floor of the two-storey building when shot.

The building has no security cameras. There was also no security guard on duty when the attack happened.

King had been scheduled to leave on the 10 p.m. flight back to Cebu.

King was the chairman and chief executive officer of J. King & Sons Co. Inc., developer of Crown Regency, Club Ultima and the City Suites Ramos Tower. He was also the founder and Director of Boracay Multiple Properties Inc.

In Cebu, the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CDIG) 7 did not discount the possibility that the lone gunman could be from Cebu.

CIDG 7 Deputy Chief Fermin Armendarez said that even if the incident did not happen in their jurisdiction, but since King is from Cebu, they will be investigating the case as well.

He said they are coordinating with the CIDG in Davao. (With Sun.Star Davao)

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on June 15, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for September 30, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • goodearth
  • Sinulog
  • Pnoy
  • Pacman blog
  • Calamity Report
  • Festivals
  • ePaper
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Technology
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Philippine Polls
  • Obituary
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Filipino Abroad