Submit report: COA to Lapu City-A A +A
Sunday, June 15, 2014
THE Commission on Audit (COA) told the Lapu-Lapu City Government to ask for reports from National Government agencies and local government units (LGUs) that received financial aid taken from the Cityâs local disaster risk and reduction management (LDRRM) funds.
In its 2013 report on the transactions of Lapu-Lapu City Hall, COA noted that the City took P11 million from its LDRRM funds to give to regional offices of the Department of Social and Welfare Development and various LGUs affected by calamities from 2011 to 2013.
The agencies, however, have not submitted liquidation reports to the City as of December last year.
Mayor Paz Radaza, in a recent press conference, said the City Accounting Office already sent letters requesting the agencies to submit liquidation reports, which will show how they used the funds.
State auditors pointed out that the financial aid released by the City was supported only by a resolution from the City Council and by a memorandum of agreement that would provide the requirements for the use of the funds and reporting.
But even without a memorandum of agreement, state auditors said recipient LGUs are still required to submit reports to the City in compliance with the COA Circular 2012-002 and COA Circular 94-013.
âWhile the recipient LGUs have the responsibility of preparing and submitting the liquidation report... the City has a corresponding duty to require and monitor the submission of the said report by recipient LGUs to ensure that the funds are spent for the purpose for which they were intended,â the COA report read.
Among the LGUs that received financial aid from the City was the northern town of Daanbantayan, which was badly hit by super typhoon Yolanda last year. The City gave the Municipal Government P1.5 million for the latterâs relief and rehabilitation efforts.
The typhoon struck last Nov. 8, killing more than 6,200 people and causing massive devastation across the Visayas.
The City also gave the Bohol Provincial Government P1.5 million following the 7.2 magnitude earthquake that struck the province last Oct. 15.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on June 16, 2014.