Mayor wants to make use of abandoned school sites-A A +A
Saturday, June 21, 2014
CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama wants to know how the City can convert the two abandoned elementary schools in Barangays Busay and Sapangdaku into usable facilities without compromising safety.
Rama has asked the City Agriculture Department and the Solid Waste Management Board to come up with recommendations.
He said the building in front of the school in Busay can still be used since it stands on safer ground.
“The building can be converted into something and there must be some interventions that the City can do,” he said.
He also informed City Agriculturist Joelito Baclayon about the matter.
The mayor went to Busay yesterday to check if the Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPW) has completed the work on the gym, which was converted into a makeshift school.
He also went to Sapangdaku to check if the condition of its Barangay Hall, which has been used as a temporary elementary school, has improved.
Rama said classes in Busay will resume on Monday after these were suspended last week when the Mines and Geosciences Bureau 7 declared the school site as “high-risk.”
Rama had asked workers during his first visit to the area last Tuesday to speed up the civil work.
In a matter of four days, the DEPW has completed putting up dividers and converting the gym into school classrooms.
While the two schools will hold temporary classes in two makeshift areas, the Cebu City Local School Board (LSB) has already proposed and is negotiating to purchase lots where the two schools can relocate.
The LSB is eyeing to transfer the Busay Elementary School to a two-hectare lot near the Busay Highlands, while the Sapangdaku Elementary School will be transferred to a 3,000-square-meter City-owned property in the barangay.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on June 21, 2014.