4T added to City’s seniors cash aid list

-A A +A

Thursday, June 26, 2014


THE Cebu City Government has some 4,000 new registered senior citizens this year.

This, as Mayor Michael Rama wants the City Treasurer’s Office (CTO) to determine how much will the City set aside on programs that grant financial assistance to the elderly.

“From a fiscal management point of view, I want to ask CTO how much will we earmark so that we will know how much we will give to them as our limit,” Rama told reporters.

Right now, the City has some 60,000 registered senior citizens who are qualified to receive the cash aid.

In his regular news conference, Rama said the City will divide to all the qualified senior citizens the amount the CTO will determine for the cash aid.

Since the City started giving the assistance, the Office of the Senior Citizens’ Affairs (Osca) noted an increase in the number of members.

Limits

Though the City has accepted the application of new members, the Osca said not all of them will be eligible to claim the cash aid this year.

This year, the City has only allocated a budget based on the population of the elderly last year.

Rama, for his part, also clarified that new members can’t claim immediately the financial assistance since guidelines on the giving of the financial assistance will be formulated by Osca.

“I’ll be senior citizen this year and I don’t even expect that I’ll be paid once I become a senior,” he said.

Senior

The mayor, who will turn 60 this October, said he will support whatever moves Osca will take on the formulation of the guidelines as long as it is being deliberated and all aspects are considered.

“I have no problem with it, as long as it is just, fair, reasonable and equitable,” Rama added.

City Treasurer Diwa said the City appropriated 720 million for the cash aid of elderly this year.

Rama earlier promised the senior citizens that the City will be giving out 12,000 annual assistance to them.

The Mayor has yet to decide, though, if the amount will be fully given as cash since he planned that half of it will be given in the form of goods.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on June 27, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for September 3, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • goodearth
  • Sinulog
  • Pacman blog
  • Philippine Polls
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Obituary
  • Filipino Abroad
  • ePaper
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Pnoy
  • Habemus Papam
  • Calamity Report
  • Festivals
  • Technology