5 Central Visayas policemen tied to illegal drugs-A A +A
Thursday, June 26, 2014
AT LEAST five police operatives in Central Visayas are in hot water this week for possible connections to illegal drugs, including an officer who tested positive in a random drug test yesterday in Mandaue City.
The Regional Investigation and Detective Management Division (RIDMD) 7 of the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 said that four policemen were recently investigated for their alleged involvement in narcotics.
One of these policemen was from Cebu Province, two from Negros Oriental and one from Bohol Province, said Supt. Henry Biñas, deputy chief of the RIDMD 7. He said their backgrounds and behavior were assessed.
Biñas added that these four policemen may be dismissed from service if the investigation would prove that they were involved in illegal drugs.
“The police often conduct drug raids; it is a must that these officers are also clean,” said Biñas.
Cebu Provincial Police Office Director Noel Gillamac said the police are also investigating two stations, after receiving reports that some of the operatives in the province may be involved in drugs.
Gillamac did not disclose where these police stations are.
“We have yet to find out what are their involvements. We cannot disclose which police stations these are, because it is still under investigation,” said Gillamac during the Talakayan sa Isyung Police Forum last Wednesday.
Last year, nine policemen were dismissed from the service after being proven to have used shabu.
In Mandaue City’s case, the policeman who tested positive yesterday for illegal drugs was relieved from office and disarmed, said Supt. Josefino Ligan, City Intelligence Branch (CIB) chief of the Mandaue City Police Office (MCPO).
The name of the policeman is being withheld pending the result of a confirmatory test.
The random tests are “done quarterly to ensure our personnel are clean from illegal substances,” Ligan told Sun.Star Cebu.
At least 49 police operatives underwent the drug test yesterday, including Senior Supt. Petronelli Baldebrin, MCPO director. Four of them were police commissioned officers (PCOs) while 45 were police non-commissioned officers (PNCOs).
The policeman with the positive initial result submitted another urine sample for a second test, which again was positive.
A confirmatory test will be conducted by the PNP Regional Crime Laboratory Office 7 and the results will be released 15 days later.
If the result of the confirmatory test will be positive, Ligan said, the policeman will face administrative and criminal complaints.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on June 27, 2014.