THE Office of the Ombudsman-Visayas junked the criminal and administrative complaints against the five officials of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)-Central Visayas and six others, who were accused of fabricating evidence to make it appear that five former Highway Patrol Group (HPG)-Central Visayas officers conspired in killing lawyer Noel Archival and his two aides in February last year.
CITING that the charges he filed have remained idle for at least a year, Mayor Nelson Garcia of Dumanjug town, Cebu filed an omnibus motion before the Office of the Provincial Secretary asking for updates on the administrative complaints he filed against Vice Mayor Efren Guntrano Gica.
Garcia, who filed his motion last Wednesday, wants to know if the Provincial Board (PB) is still interested in proceeding with the hearings of the five administrative complaints he filed against Gica.
TWENTY-ONE farmers from the mountain barangay of Adlaon, Cebu City yesterday received financial assistance from the Philippine Crop Insurance Corp. (PCIC).
Each farmer received an indemnity check worth P12,782 in a ceremony held at the Cebu City Hall, attended by Barangay Captain Elvis Narra, Vice Mayor Edgardo Labella, PCIC vice president Tony Uy, and Tisa Barangay Captain and Association of Barangay Councils (ABC) President Philip Zafra.
CEBU CITY -- The City Government stands to forfeit some P15 million worth of calamity and life support equipment from Massachusetts, with the donor saying these might as well go to “interested” communities.
A 17-YEAR-OLD boy allegedly raped three girls inside their house in Barangay Pusok, Lapu-Lapu City last Wednesday dawn.
Police turned over Jason (real name withheld) to the City Social Welfare Services after the parents and grandmother of the girls—ages seven, six and three—sought their help past 7 p.m. last Wednesday.
SOME 37 suspected drug personalities were killed by the police in Central Visayas in anti-narcotics operations since last year, police data showed.
People engaged in the illegal drug trade are getting bolder in the midst of the intensified police operations, said Senior Supt. Conrado Capa of Police Regional Office (PRO) 7.
THE Department of Education (DepEd)-Central Visayas yesterday said the agency proposed an P18.218-billion budget for 2016 for the region.
Dr. Marcial Degamo, chief of DepEd 7 Quality Assurance Division (QAD), said their P18.218-billion proposal will be integrated by the DepEd central office with the budget proposals of other regions.
A 22-YEAR-OLD graduating high school student allegedly shot his teacher yesterday afternoon in Barangay Poblacion, Tabuelan, Cebu.
According to police investigation, Elmer Pelayo Arcillas was fed up with his math teacher, Geronimo Maano Flores, for repeatedly scolding him for always being late in class.
THERE was legal basis in Mayor Michael Rama's declaration of a failure of bidding for the construction of the new Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC), said the City Legal Office.
This, as the City Council requested the executive department to furnish them a copy of the memorandum, which Rama issued, to create a special bids and awards committee (BAC) for CCMC.
SEVEN suspects were involved in the Feb. 20 shooting of three foreigners inside a fast food chain in Barangay Tabunok, Talisay City, according to a new information uncovered by police.
The shooting resulted in the death of German national Heinrich Haffner, 31.
AFTER the walkout last Wednesday, Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama and some of his fellow respondents in the complaint for the allegedly “irregular” distribution of the P20,000 calamity aid did not show up as the hearing at the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) continued.
“No more. Why would we continue to attend?” City Legal Officer Jerone Castillo said.
HUNDREDS of Bantayanons braved the heat as they converged in their municipal rotunda the other day with their mayor and town officials, asking Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Secretary Dinky Soliman to release the P375 million emergency shelter assistance (ESA) to Yolanda victims, without conditions.
Mayor Ian Christopher Escario, in his speech, said the P375-million check is already with the DSWD office, but he refused to claim it.
THE Lapu-Lapu City Police Office (LLCPO) is setting up a police outpost near the Lapu-Lapu City Hall of Justice to beef up security in the area after a businessman was shot dead there.
Supt. Virgil Ranes, LLCPO’s deputy chief for operations, said two police officers will be assigned in the outpost, which will be set up near the entrance of the City Hall compound where the Hall of Justice, the LLCPO and other government offices are located.
THE Provincial Board (PB) asked the Department of Health in Central Visayas to provide pharmacies with posters that can guide senior citizens and persons with disabilities (PWDs) on how they can avail themselves of the 20-percent discount on drugs.
The posters should be placed on conspicuous areas in drug stores and pharmacies, the board said.
DID WE NOT HEAR THIS KIND OF CHATTER BEFORE?
“Due process.” “No jurisdiction.” “Rule of law.” “Power grab in the offing.”
CEBU City Hall’s executive department wants to avail itself of a P120-million loan from the Land Bank of the Philippines (LBP) for the construction of the new Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC).
The amount is at least 10 percent of the total estimated cost of the project, which ranges from P1.2 billion to P1.5 billion.
THE Cebu Provincial Development Council (PDC) endorsed yesterday a proposal by the Minglanilla town council to study the opening of the old Philippine Railways as an alternative road from Naga to Cebu City.
The hope is that traffic on the Cebu South Road, known as Natalio Bacalso Ave., may be decongested if an alternative road from the City of Naga to the South Road Properties (SRP) is built.
THE Nigerian medical student who was arrested for allegedly trying to force a police officer to perform oral sex on him denied the accusation and claimed the allegations were fabricated.
Ghukmelie Ezeal, 30, said it’s not possible for him to do that to a police officer since half of his body is already paralyzed.
THE father of Levy Ruiz’s live-in partner died because of heart failure at 3:15 a.m. yesterday.
About 15 hours later, the house where their family lives was damaged when a fire hit their neighborhood in Barangay Day-as, Cebu City.
THE Commission on Audit (COA) wants the Cebu City Government to explain why P550.4 million worth of projects from the Annual Investment Plan (AIP) last year were not implemented.
The AIP, which covers programs and projects of the mayor and the barangays, is funded by the Local Development Fund (LDF), which is 20 percent of the City’s Internal Revenue Allotment share from the National Government.
THE wife of PO2 Romeo Cempron, one of the 44 elite police officers killed in Maguindanao last month, yesterday called for the resignation of President Benigno Aquino III.
Dr. Christine Abucay-Cempron joined militant groups who commemorated the 29th anniversary of EDSA 1 by marching in Cebu City and calling on Aquino to step down.
A WALKOUT by Cebu City officials marred a tension-filled hearing conducted by the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) 7 on the complaint over the allegedly illegal distribution of the P20,000 calamity aid in 2013.
POLICE launched yesterday a nationwide manhunt against the other suspects involved in the death of a German national and shooting of two other foreigners in a fast food joint in Talisay City last week.
Chief Supt. Prudencio Tom Bañas, Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 chief, said they received reports that the suspects had fled outside Cebu.
A 64-year-old widower died in a motel room in Barangay Pajo, Lapu-Lapu City where he allegedly checked in with a minor last Tuesday night.
Police investigators did not find any wounds on Richard (real name withheld), a resident of Barangay Basak, when they saw his body at the Mactan Doctor’s Hospital where he was declared dead.
A FORMER senator, incumbent and previous local officials, police officers, environmental advocates, schools and civic groups were among this year’s awardees of the Cebu City Government.
The awardees received outstanding individual and outstanding institution awards and mayor’s special awards during the City’s 78th Charter Day celebration held at the Marco Polo Plaza Cebu last Tuesday night.
“NAA gyud ko’y phobia sa iro (I fear dogs),” said PO1 Ronaldo Napigkit. He later clarified his statement: “Not to the extent tanan nga iro (But not all kinds of dogs).”
Napigkit, 28, himself owns a Labrador.
WITH only six months away from the Apec Summit ministerial meetings, five venues in Cebu were checked by the national organizing committee as part of its preparation.
These venues are the Radisson Blu Hotel Cebu, Cebu City Marriott Hotel, Grand Convention Center of Cebu [not a hotel], Shangri-la’s Mactan Resort and Spa, and Waterfront Cebu City Hotel and Casino.
NOT a single orphan from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) 7 was locally adopted last year, which was not a significant decline from the 2013 figure of three.
But there were 33 children adopted internationally last year.
AFTER two years of operation, Carcar City’s open dumpsite is finally closed.
Following the closure of its open dumpsite in Sitio Planas, Barangay Poblacion 1, the Carcar City Government has availed itself of the services of a private contractor to collect its garbage.
FROM the note the Senate hearing on the SAF 44 tragedy ended Tuesday, the culprits on the government side are resigned police chief Alan Purisima and former Special Action Force commander Getulio Nape¤as.
Did the ball stop there?