17 with illegal drugs nabbed in joint operations in Mandaue, Cebu City

-A A +A

Wednesday, July 2, 2014


SEVENTEEN were arrested, including two women, in a simultaneous serving of search warrants in Cebu and Mandaue City, with the police confiscating almost P2.5 million worth of illegal drugs yesterday morning.

Aside from the confiscated drugs, 13 assorted firearms and drug paraphernalia were also seized.

The police arrested eight, but three others escaped.

Advertisement

Seven search warrants were served in Mandaue City and four in Cebu City.

Police Regional Office (PRO) 7 Director Prudencio Bañas said he expects a drop in crime volume after their drug operation.

“The street crimes are commonly associated with drugs, so there might really be a drop,” said Bañas in an interview yesterday.

The joint operations were conducted by the Regional Intelligence Division, Regional Special Operations Group, Regional Anti-Illegal Drugs Special Operations Task Group, Mandaue City Police Office, Regional Public Safety Battalion and Cebu City Police Office (CCPO).

Operation

The operation started at 5 a.m. yesterday in Barangays Guizo, Subangdaku, Casili and Mantuyong in Mandaue City. In Cebu City, it started in Barangays Duljo-Fatima and Calamba.

Arrested in Barangay Duljo-fatima were Marion Abellana Cabahug and Allan Bardelona Aguilo.

The police failed to arrest two suspects in Barangay Calamba, Cebu City. They were Alexander dela Cruz Abellana and Judith Verdesola.

Those arrested in Barangay Calamba were Roy Barcelona, Manuel Villanueva, Lester Verdesola, Jason Zabala, Chris Louie Devena Gracia, Jimmy Crucio Arunggay, and Michael Abellana Cabahug. They were caught in the act of repacking drugs.

In Mandaue City, arrested were Darwin Cortes, Ulyn Ceniza, Roberto Bugtai, Marwin Opura Jr., Jackie Lou Abuena, Nino Rosal Castaneda, Edgar Castro and Joseph Dagil.

Confiscated from them were 14 big packs, 16 medium packs and 22 small packs containing
shabu amounting to P2.5 million.

About P500,000 worth of drugs were confiscated in Cebu City, while some P2 million were seized from Mandaue City.

Bañas, who presented the suspects to the media yesterday, said most of the arrested were level 2 drug pushers who could allegedly dispose of at least 200 grams of shabu per week.

But he said they will have to verify the backgrounds of those that were arrested.

“May araw din kayo (You’ll have your day),” said Bañas to those who are involved in illegal drugs.

He also commended the operatives who conducted the operation yesterday for their efforts in fighting illegal drugs.

“This is not the last because we will be conducting operations from time to time,” Bañas added.

The arrested suspects are currently detained in the CCPO and the Mandaue City Police Office stockades.

Toledo, Balamban

Two were arrested in a joint operation conducted by the Toledo City Police and Balamban Police, leaving one policewoman injured after the two suspects tried to escape.

Seized from suspects Eusebio “Ramil” Piloto, 44, and Hadie Piosdos, both residents of
Balamban, were AR 15 rifle with two magazines, 24 9mm bullets, two .45 pistols with magazines, a hand grenade and two big packs of shabu.

The two were arrested in Barangay Lamesa, Balamban after the police cornered them.

Toledo City Police Chief Michael Anthony Bastes said they placed the two suspects under surveillance after learning that they were allegedly the suspects of a robbery incident earlier this week in Toledo City who took away almost P50,000 cash.

Bastes said they reportedly received a tip yesterday that Piloto and Piodos were in Balamban, which prompted them to coordinate with the Balamban Police.

But just as the police were about to arrest the suspects, who were reportedly boarding a Toyota Corolla vehicle, Piloto, who was driving the car, reportedly moved backwards, causing one policewoman to get hurt.
Shot

PO3 Roxanne Enerio reportedly fell into a 10-foot ravine and sustained bruises on her body after she was hit by the vehicle’s rear.

Because of this, Bastes fired a shot in the air, prompting the suspects to stop.

Bastes alleged that the two were also reportedly drug pushers who rob big establishments to supply their drug selling.

Piloto reportedly had pending murder charges, while Piodos is an ex-convict for a case of robbery.

The suspects are now detained, pending charges for RA 10591 or the Comprehensive Firearms and Ammunition Regulations Act and Section 11 of RA 9165 or Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 03, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for September 23, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Obituary
  • Philippine Polls
  • Pnoy
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sinulog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • goodearth
  • Technology
  • Pacman blog
  • ePaper
  • Calamity Report
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Festivals