Ortega resigns from bids group

-A A +A

Thursday, July 10, 2014


PROVINCIAL Attorney Orvi Ortega resigned last week as vice chairman of the bids and awards committee (BAC), said Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III, who accepted the move.

Ortega continued to defend the bidding for the Capitol’s security services last May, but said he was resigning because he wanted to protect the BAC and Governor Davide from “the remnants of those vicious, malicious and unfounded accusations” against him.

The governor clarified that Ortega remains the provincial attorney.

Ortega’s letter was dated July 3 and “accepted, with regrets” by the governor the next day, after he presided over the Metro Cebu Development and Coordinating Board (MCDCB) quarterly meeting in Danao City.

Davide earlier declared Black Pearl Security Agency the winning bidder, upon Ortega’s recommendation, last June 4. The controversy began after Black Pearl, without waiting for a notice of award and while the post-qualification was still ongoing, took over the Capitol’s security services last June 1.

The contract with the previous provider, Tactical Security and Detective Agency, ended last May 31, 2014.

Ortega earlier told reporters that Black Pearl had volunteered to start providing their services despite the absence of a work contract.

In his letter, Ortega said his conscience was clear and that he was requesting to be relieved of his duties in the BAC “with all dignity and with my head held up high.”

A week after the governor announced that Black Pearl was the winning bidder, one of their security guards accidentally shot a habal-habal driver.

Last June 12, one of their guards was caught sleeping, while another guard failed to produce a security guard’s license.

That same day, Governor Davide terminated the contract with the security agency. He eventually reorganized the BAC and disqualified Black Pearl last June 16.

The Capitol is again calling for a public bidding for qualified security agencies to watch over the Capitol.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 10, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu's front page for August 22, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Pnoy
  • Obituary
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sinulog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • goodearth
  • Festivals
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Pacman blog
  • ePaper
  • Philippine Polls
  • Calamity Report
  • Technology
  • Sun.Star Zup!