Cebu Province turns 445

-A A +A

Friday, July 11, 2014


A LONGER celebration using the same budget is in store for the Cebu Provincial Government's P445th founding anniversary next month.

The Capitol allocated P3 million for the month-long celebration.

Provincial Information Office Head Ethel Natera said the budget this year was the same as last year.

“We did not increase the budget for this year because last year, it was also P3 million, although, we only spent half the budget allocated last year,” Natera said.

In 2013, the anniversary celebration was only for a week because there was not a lot of time to prepare as the new administration assumed office only a month before the 444th anniversary.

Cebu Province was founded on Aug. 8.

Natera said that this year, the Capitol decided on a month filled with activities for this milestone anniversary.

Natera believes the budget is enough because some entities offered their services for free.

The traditional flag-raising ceremony on Aug. 1 will signal the start of the month-long celebration, which will be attended by officials from Cebu towns and component cities, and the Philippine National Police.

This will be followed by the launching of the Province Award and Agricultural Fair.

On Aug. 2, Capitol employees will celebrate Family Day while the Iron Man contest will be held the next day.

A Wellness Day has been scheduled on Aug. 4, followed by the Legislative Night on Aug. 5 and the Governor's Night on Aug. 8.

Cebuano journalists and broadcasters as well as newspaper columnists, other reporters and editors are invited to a Media Night on Aug. 15.

"The theme this year has something to do with resiliency, development and unity," said Natera.

The Province Award is given to the non-government organizations and individuals who have helped the province.

The committee is still finalizing the criteria for the awards.

But the awarding is slated at the end of the year yet.

Outstanding employees who have contributed to the development of the Province will be awarded on Aug. 18.

Natera added that the Province will be recognizing those who helped super typhoon Yolanda survivors. (Rosedelyn S. Catalan, USJ-R Mass Com Intern)

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 12, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for August 01, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • goodearth
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sinulog
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Festivals
  • Calamity Report
  • Pnoy
  • ePaper
  • Obituary
  • Habemus Papam
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Technology
  • Pacman blog
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Philippine Polls