Census to be conducted in Yolanda-affected areas-A A +A
Thursday, July 24, 2014
PRESIDENTIAL Assistant for Rehabilitation and Recovery (PARR) Secretary Panfilo Lacson has directed the Philippine Statistics Authority-National Statistics Office to conduct a census in the 45 barangays in northern Cebu affected by super typhoon Yolanda last year.
Firmo Diputado, provincial statistics officer in Cebu, said PARR needs additional information to determine interventions in Yoland-hit areas.
He said PARR wants to know the occupation of affected individuals before and after the typhoon, their current source of income, where they currently reside, what type of housing they’re staying in and their interest in moving to a relocation site.
PARR also wants to know about garbage disposal and the main source of water in affected areas.
PSA-NSO has allocated P2 million for the activity.
However, Diputado clarified that the census is not the reason the President has not yet approved Cebu’s rehabilitation plan.
Last May 30, PARR cabinet cluster approved the rehabilitation plans of Cebu, Samar and Leyte and Tacloban City in Leyte.
The plans, though, need the President’s signature before funds can be released.
Capitol officials have yet to receive positive feedback.
Diputado said five barangays in Bogo City will be part of the census; seven barangays in Daanbantayan; 14 in Madridejos; six in Bantayan; 10 in Sta. Fe; and three barangays in San Remigio.
Diputado said PSA-NSO will hire 158 data enumerators. They’ll be paid P286 daily.
He said applicants from northern Cebu will get priority. They must also have at least two years of college education.
The census will be conducted from Aug. 4 to 30.
Diputado said the pilot census is also for the PSA-NSO to test the census questionnaire in preparation of the 2015 Population Census.
He said anyone who breaches the confidentiality of information will be liable for violating Section 27 of Republic Act 10625, or known as the Philippine Statistical Act of 2013.
If found guilty, they face fines of not less than P5,000 but not more than P10,000 and/or imprisonment of three months but not to exceed one year.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 25, 2014.