Counsel of driver who hit enforcer assures goodwill-A A +A
Thursday, July 24, 2014
LAWYERS of the Korean national who figured last week in an accident that killed a traffic enforcer along Banilad-Talamban road assured the Cebu City Government that their client will not leave the country pending the hearing of the case she is facing.
Sun Kyung Heo, the driver of Hyundai Tucson wagon who ran over Maria Theresa Bascones in Barangay Banilad was charged with reckless imprudence resulting to homicide.
Upon filing of the case, Heo posted a P30,000 bail.
Her husband is assigned in China, Heo will still stay in the country since her two children are studying in Cebu.
Lawyers Maria Janel Miral and Ryan Gabuya visited the office of Acting Mayor Edgardo Labella last Wednesday and made the commitment on behalf of the 48-year-old Korean national.
“The City and the counsel of the Korean national made an agreement pending the case filed against her,” Labella said.
Aside from the assurance that Heo will not leave the country, Labella said the two lawyers also told the City that their client have already shouldered the medical and burial expenses of Bascones.
But Labella said the City will still extend its help.
Labella asked the lawyers not to initiate any negotiations with the immediate family of Bascones to settle the case.
“We asked them to never let the family members sign anything and the lawyers agreed,” Labella said.
Labella said any negotiation with the Bascones should not be done without the assistance of the City Government considering that the traffic enforcer was an employee of the City under the City Traffic Operations Management (Citom) and she died while performing her job.
Labella asked the City Legal Office to give the family any legal assistance when they need it while the case is on-going.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 25, 2014.