Permit to construct a new Cebu City hospital issued-A A +A
Monday, July 28, 2014
THE Department of Health (DOH) has given the Cebu City Government a license to operate and a permit to construct the new Cebu City Medical Center (CCMC).
This was disclosed yesterday by Acting Mayor Edgardo Labella.
Labella said in a news conference that the license to operate and the permit to construct were given by DOH last week to CCMC chief Dr. Gloria Duterte when she went to Manila.
“This means that it’s all-systems-go for the construction of a new hospital,” he said.
Labella said Mayor-on-leave Michael Rama received $500,000 worth of pledges or P21.7 million (based on yesterday's P43.34 peso-dollar exchange rate) from private persons and groups in the United States (US).
Labella said he is optimistic that the mayor would be able to raise more funds there.
Rama flew to the US on July 18 for a family reunion and to raise funds for the new CCMC. He is expected to be back on Aug. 12.
The Public Information Office reported that the City's “Piso Mo, Hospital Ko” fund drive was able to raise P16 million so far. The Walk for CCMC organized over the weekend raised P500,000.
Another Walk for CCMC will be held by the City in September.
Labella said City Hall hopes to start construction of the new CCMC by September. But he added that the actual date will still depend on procedures, like bidding.
A groundbreaking ceremony was held on July 16 at the project site on N. Bacalso Ave.
The new CCMC will be constructed on the site of the old hospital, which was demolished. The old facility was declared unsafe after it was damaged by a magnitude 7.2 earthquake last Oct. 15.
Labella said there's no schedule yet for the bidding because the CCMC ad hoc committee is still finalizing the necessary documents.
CCMC ad hoc committee head Councilor Mary Ann delos Santos earlier said they are still finalizing the details of the project's plan, which include the number of materials needed.
She said the City gave the committee until early August to finish the plan. Once that’s done, she added that the City will then start the bidding process for the project.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 29, 2014.