Metro Cebu told: Manage waste from septic tanks

Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 12:00 a.m.

CITIES and towns in Metro Cebu were asked to approve ordinances on the management of septic tank wastes, as part of efforts to prevent contamination of Cebu’s water supply.

The resolution, approved by the Metro Cebu Development and Coordinating Board (MCDCB), complements the Metro Cebu Water District’s (MCWD) plans to ensure that the septage from households and establishments in its franchise area is properly managed. Septage refers to the materials stored in septic tanks and cesspools.

200 lose houses

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 11:59 p.m.

AROUND 200 persons lost their homes after a suspected drug user allegedly set his room on fire and the flames quickly spread to houses in Sitio Little Pasil, Barangay Kamputhaw, Cebu City.

Rolando Mendoza, 30, is now detained in the Fuente Police Station, although he denied allegations that he started the fire in Purok 8.

Nutritious meals

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 11:49 p.m.

IF APPROVED, the proposed ordinance seeking to provide free nutritious meals to all day care, home-based and elementary students would cost the Cebu City Government at least P156 million a year.

This was disclosed yesterday by Emma Sevilla of the Cebu City Nutrition Council (CCNC) during the City Council's public hearing on the proposed ordinance.

Council to discuss road issue again

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 11:48 p.m.

A CEBU City councilor yesterday questioned the opinion of the City Legal Office affirming the declaration of W. Geonzon St. in Barangay Apas as a public street.

Councilor Nestor Archival said the City Council’s declaration deprived the Cebu Property Ventures and Development Corp. (CPVDC) of its right over its property.

500T workers in 16 Cebu towns living in poverty

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 11:47 p.m.

SOME 500,000 workers in northern Cebu who lost their livelihood to super typhoon Yolanda last year are still in vulnerable situations, the International Labor Organization (ILO) said.

These workers are among the 5.9 million individuals in the Visayas who lost their livelihood.

DOH 7 notes increase in measles cases in CV

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 11:46 p.m.

A TOTAL of 1,387 cases and seven deaths due to measles were reported in Central Visayas for the first eight months of this year, said the Department of Health (DOH) yesterday.

The figure is 1,260 percent higher compared to the same period last year, which only had 102 cases and no fatalities.

Need to search on Google? Try using Cebuano

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 11:44 p.m.

HAVE you noticed that you can now look something up on Google using Cebuano as search language?

Yes, Cebuano became part of Google’s search language last year, but it took nearly 10 years and a woman whose first language was Filipino before a group of native tongue lovers succeeded in making the language a part of the Internet search engine.

Expanded anti-poverty plan launched

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 10:35 p.m.

THE Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Central Visayas yesterday launched a program that will empower barangays and will allow them to participate in planning, implementing and monitoring of projects that they initiated.

The Kahirapan-Comprehensive and Integrated Delivery of Social Services-National Community-Driven Development Program (KC-NCDDP) will cover 3.2 million households in 107 municipalities in four provinces in the region.

Madrigal told: Return guns, equipment

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 10:33 p.m.

SUSPENDED Capitol security officer Loy Madrigal has been ordered to return the assorted guns and equipment issued to him. Otherwise, the embattled chief of the Capitol’s Anti-Illegal Fishing Task Force will face another complaint, said a notice sent by the Provincial General Services Office (PGSO) to Madrigal.

The notice was sent last Sept. 16 by PGSO through Provincial Administrator Mark Tolentino.

‘Disaster’ felt in preparedness conference

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 10:32 p.m.

SOME Cebu delegates in a two-day national conference and training on Environment Leadership and Disaster Preparedness decided to walk out of the session to look for a place to sleep and eat.

“The training is on disaster preparedness, then ang nag-organize dili prepared,” said Talisay City Councilor Danny Caballero.

Cab firm supervisor, 14-year-old found dead

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 10:30 p.m.

A 39-YEAR-OLD supervisor of a taxi company allegedly shot himself in the head inside his room where his two sons, ages two and five, were also sleeping yesterday morning.

Albert Angeles, a native of Zamboanga City, was seen by his younger brother, Anthony, with a gunshot wound in his right temple inside their rented house in Barangay Tingub, Mandaue City around 6 a.m.

Fake priest dupes police, chief

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 10:29 p.m.

ARGAO police are still looking for the man who identified himself as the new Argao parish priest and claimed P15,000 worth of cellphone load.

Last Monday morning, Argao Police received a phone call from a man who identified himself as Msgr. Camilo Alia, the new parish priest in Argao.

City: Commission made ‘wrong’ call

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 10:28 p.m.

CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama instructed the City Legal Office to continue the legal battle against the latest Commission on Audit (COA) decision affirming a 2005 land swap deal.

COA reversed the earlier decision denying the deed of exchange between the City's Lot 917 in Barangay Lahug and Felix Gochan and Sons Realty Corp.'s properties in Barangays Guadalupe and Lorega.

‘No conspiracy’ in lawyer’s death, says police official

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 10:25 p.m.

A POLICE officer accused of killing lawyer Nestor Archival asked a state prosecutor to reconsider the resolution indicting him, along with two others.

Senior Insp. Joselito Lerion, through his lawyer Inocencio dela Cerna, filed a motion for reconsideration seeking reversal of Acting Provincial Prosecutor Jesus Rodrigo Taga-an's resolution, arguing that there was no evidence to establish a conspiracy.

Mayor asks Ombud to review decision

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 10:24 p.m.

SIBONGA Mayor Lionel Bacalso asked the Office of the Ombudsman-Visayas to reconsider its decision suspending him for three months without pay for simple misconduct.

Bacalso, through lawyer Julius Ceasar Entise, filed a motion for reconsideration seeking to reverse his suspension for lack of factual and legal basis.

5 nabbed for P425K of illegal drugs

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 10:23 p.m.

FIVE suspected drug dealers were arrested in separate buy-busts in less than 24 hours by anti-illegal drugs operatives of the Lapu-Lapu City Police Office (LLCPO).

A combined estimated worth of P425,000 of suspected methamphetamine, locally known as shabu, were allegedly confiscated from Gerrod Albarracin, 32, Juanita Sadili, 39, Joegen Apa, 19, Neil Van Montebon, 36, and Rey Cano Malingin, 42.

DOH 7 to offer ‘suicide hotline’

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 01:14 p.m.

THE Department of Health (DOH) 7 will put up a 24-hour “suicide hotline” before the end of this year.

It will be based in the Department of Psychiatry and Center for Behavioral Sciences at the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) in Cebu City.

COA approves swap ‘too late’

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 12:49 a.m.

GOVERNMENT auditors have approved Cebu City’s plan to swap one of its lots with two privately-owned lots, which will help City Hall save a public school and a housing project.

But there’s a problem.

Waiting for a car plate? They’re here, LTO says

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 12:47 a.m.

OFFICIALS of the Land Transportation Office (LTO) said they are rushing the distribution of new vehicle number plates to meet the Oct. 16 deadline set by President Benigno Aquino III.

During the 888 News Forum, LTO 7 Director Arnel Tancinco urged vehicle owners who have already registered their vehicles but have no number plates yet to go to the regional office to claim it.

Loy Madrigal needs to explain why he let a private person drive Capitol pickup

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 12:21 a.m.

SUSPENDED Capitol security officer Loy Anthony Madrigal has another thorn in his side.

Cebu Gov. Hilario Davide III said that Alberto Naraja, who was driving the Capitol-owned Mitsubishi Strada (license plate SJC-600) that hit a couple on a motorcycle in Bogo City last Sunday, is not an employee of the Provincial Government. He said Naraja’s application as job-order employee at Capitol has yet to be approved.

Suspect in foiled robbery of personal care shop falls

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 12:20 a.m.

ONE of the suspects in the foiled Avon Beauty Center heist was arrested by police in Barangay Cansojong, Talisay City last Monday afternoon.

Supt. Reycel Carmelo Dayon, the city’s police chief, identified the robbery suspect as Sisinio Merced, 55, who was previously arrested for drug charges.

Baby ‘dead’ before it was delivered

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 12:19 a.m.

RENJIE Torreon, father of the baby who he said was nearly decapitated during childbirth, filed a complaint before the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center’s (VSMMC) Public Assistance and Complaints Section yesterday.

As a result, the hospital will conduct a full-blown investigation on the incident.

Bry. gets security detail after weekend shootout

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 12:17 a.m.

TEN police personnel were tasked to secure some areas in Agsungot, a mountain barangay in Cebu City, due to the presence of armed men.

Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) Director Noli Romana said members of the KKK Alimaong–Higaonon Tribe are a threat to residents since they are reportedly armed.

‘Hire guards in 3 days or close shop’

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 12:14 a.m.

CEBU City Mayor Michael Rama has ordered LBC Express branches in the city to institute security measures within three days or else their business permit will be revoked.

The mayor yesterday signed the notice, which covers more than 20 LBC outlets.

Town residents beef against pig farm in Alegria

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 12:12 a.m.

THE Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) 7 called the attention of a company based in Alegria after some residents complained about the odor from a piggery there.

A notice of violation was issued against the Alegria Heavenly Stars Ventures Corp. (AHSVC) after residents of Sitio Balhaan in Barangay Madridejos complained about the odor allegedly coming from one of its piggeries.

Inclusion of 2 ex-HPG men in charges sought

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 12:11 a.m.

THE prosecution wants two former Highway Patrol Group (HPG) 7 members to be charged in court over the death of lawyer Noel Archival and his two aides in Barangay Coro, Dalaguete, Cebu last February.

Lawyer Gloria Lastimosa-Dalawampu, in a motion for reconsideration she filed last week, said that Chief Insp. Eduardo Mara and SPO4 Edwin Galan should be included in the multiple murder and frustrated murder cases.

Law designates crime lab as sole keeper of seized drugs

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 12:10 a.m.

THE Philippine National Police (PNP) Crime Laboratory is the sole keeper of all seized illegal drugs to erase public doubts that these will be recycled, said Chief Supt. Prudencio Tom Bañas.

Banas, director of the Police Regional Office 7, said that under the law, confiscated shabu and other illegal drugs must be wrapped and signed by a barangay official, a member of the media and an employee from the Department of Justice in the presence of the arrested drug suspect/s.

Buzz: Binay’s ‘massive’ wealth; firing Capitol’s Madrigal

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 12:10 a.m.

THINGS TO THINK ABOUT...

CEBU GOV. JUNJUN DAVIDE used the Sunday night road accident in Bogo City, in which a government vehicle issued to Loy Anthony Madrigal in a road killed a man and injured his wife, as reason for suspending the Capitol chief security officer. Madrigal was not driving the Mitsubishi pickup.

MCWD, Veco sued over disconnection

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - 12:09 a.m.

THE Office of the Building Official (OBO) in Cebu City and three other defendants are facing a civil suit over the water and power disconnection of a rented property.

Welmar Archival Carvajal, of Barangay Talamban, Cebu City, filed the case for damages against OBO, Metro Cebu Water District (MCWD), Visayan Electric Co. (Veco) and landowner Maria Socorro Sarmiento before the Regional Trial Court.

40 Carcar officials take oath as LP members

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 11:58 p.m.

CEBU Gov. Hilario Davide III and Vice Gov. Agnes Magpale swore in to the Liberal Party (LP) 40 Carcar City barangay officials, four of whom are barangay captains and four are city councilors.

Carcar City Mayor Nicepuro Apura welcomed the move, saying, “Pareha ra mi nga nisuporta sa administrasyon ni (We’re just one in supporting the administration of) Governor Davide ug Vice Governor Magpale.”

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for September 18, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Sinulog
  • Pacman blog
  • Obituary
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Habemus Papam
  • Philippine Polls
  • Technology
  • Pnoy
  • ePaper
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Calamity Report
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Festivals
  • goodearth