Adonis Dumpit’s fate to be decided today-A A +A
Monday, August 4, 2014
WILL SPO1 Adonis Dumpit be freed today after spending about three years at the Cebu City Jail? Or will he remain in detention to continue serving his jail term?
Judge Ester Veloso will hand down today her verdict on the murder case against Dumpit, who is accused of killing Ronron Go, a suspected notorious snatcher in Cebu City, on Dec. 14, 2004.
“We hope that Judge (Ester) Veloso will decide based on the merits of the case,” defense lawyer Benjamin Militar told Sun.Star Cebu in a phone interview.
Dumpit was accused of shooting and killing Go in cold blood after the latter allegedly robbed two jeepney passengers at the North Reclamation Area. Earlier that day, Go also allegedly robbed a 14-year-old girl.
The country’s Revised Penal Code imposes a maximum sentence of 40 years on persons guilty of murder.
In Dumpit’s case, the prosecution presented two witnesses while the defense presented Dumpit as its main witness.
Militar, in an interview, said the prosecution witnesses presented a “totally different” version of the story.
“There are huge discrepancies in the testimonies of their (prosecution) witnesses between the preliminary investigation and during the trial,” Militar said.
Dumpit’s has been claiming that the shooting took place in “self-defense” and in “lawful discharge of his functions.”
Militar hopes the judge’s ruling will be fair.
He also said five state agencies composed of 46 law enforcers had been looking for Go before the shootout between the victim and Dumpit took place.
Janeth Badana, Go’s mother, said they attended masses and prayed to attain justice for her son.
In his affidavit, Dumpit has denied committing murder.
He said the shooting was the outcome of a legitimate operation and that he was only defending himself because he was shot at first.
The National Bureau of Investigation 7 investigated the case and secured affidavits and later found basis to indict Dumpit before the Office of the Ombudsman.
Special Investigator Arnel Pura said the fact that Go was wounded in the back indicated there was no shootout.
Also, Pura said, Go tested negative of gunshot residue and Dumpit failed to state in his affidavit that he recovered a firearm from the guy he supposedly shot in self-defense.
Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on August 05, 2014.