City runs after illegal billboards

-A A +A

Monday, August 4, 2014


THE Cebu City Government has found close to 20 billboards in the city as that had been put up without permits.

Engr. Steevann de Pedro, of the sign permitting section of the Office of the Building Official (OBO), said two of these billboards are located along Juan Luna Ave. cor. M.J. Cuenco Ave. and along Gorordo Ave.

Both are owned by Gateway Motors Inc.

Advertisement

Another billboard is located along Gen. Maxilom Ave., fronting the old Rustan’s building. Its owner has yet to be verified.

Three more illegally constructed billboards are owned by Rucs and can be seen along Arch. Reyes Ave. and N. Bacalso Ave.

Another billboard, owned by Queensland, is found along Gen. Maxilon Ext.. More billboards, owned by Ultracraft Ad and Shopwise, are found along N. Bacalso Ave.

De Pedro also said there are six illegally constructed billboards along F. Cabahug St.

They are owned by Fooda, Robins Home Depot, Sarossa Hotel and City Park Inn. The owners of the two other billboards are yet to be verified.

Other illegally constructed billboards are owned by Infinity KTV along Arch. Reyes Ave., Three billboards in Barangay Kamputhaw, Barangay Lahug and along D. Jakosalem St. cor. S. Osmeña Blvd. are owned by Kaking Shopping Center.

Complaints

OBO listed down the illegally constructed billboards on instructions of Acting Mayor Edgardo Labella, who said he has received several complaints about the matter.

In an interview with Sun.Star Cebu yesterday, OBO chief Atty. Jose Marie Poblete said the construction of billboards without permit from the City violates the provisions of City Ordinance 1481, or the “Ordinance Regulating the Construction of Buildings and Other Structures Within the City of Cebu.”

He asked the owners to secure a signboard or billboard permit at City Hall.

Poblete said OBO has already sent several notices to the owners.

Failure to secure a permit, he said, will result to the demolition of the structures.

Increase

The number of illegally constructed billboards in the city, Poblete said, may still increase considering that OBO will continue its inspection.

In his regular news conference yesterday, Labella asked the barangays to monitor illegal construction of billboards in their areas.

Barangays

He has issued a memorandum to the Association of Barangay Councils on the matter.

Labella said the barangays will earn from the billboards. He cited Section 152 (d) (3) of the Local Government Code, which says that the barangay has the authority to levy reasonable fees and charges on billboards, signboards, neon signs and outdoor advertisements within their jurisdiction.

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on August 05, 2014.

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Today's front page

Sun.Star Cebu front page for December 21, 2014

Other front pages

Sun.Star Jobs
  • ePaper
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sinulog
  • Philippine Polls
  • Calamity Report
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • goodearth
  • Festivals
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Pnoy
  • Pacman blog
  • Technology
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Habemus Papam
  • Obituary